Chapter 3 - Surprise

MATT

When I ended up at this place, after one of the most unfortunate days of my life, I never thought I would get a spotlight on my face and that the band's singer would dedicate a song to me. I've never been here before, so I don't know if this is something she usually does, but the passionate way she sings makes me smile. Which is a whole lot better than the feeling of anger I had a while ago.

A few hours earlier, I had wrapped up a shoot at my studio earlier than expected and headed home. I was in the best of moods since I got a brief for a new commercial shoot in the meantime. I felt like celebrating and my plan was to ask my girlfriend to join me for dinner at a fancy place.

As soon as I opened the door, I heard Wendy's laughter while talking to someone. I didn't think much of it as she's always laughing and chatting with her friends on the phone. The stack of post on the kitchen called my attention and while browsing the envelopes I heard a male voice, and it wasn't coming from a speaker. To my surprise, it was also a well-known one... Wyatt.

My steps were silent as I walked to my bedroom, where I opened the door slightly wider with a small push. I found my girlfriend naked in bed with one of my friends. I leaned on the door frame and waited, curious about how long it would take them to figure out I was standing there. It wasn't long...

"Matt!" Wendy shouted while grabbing the bed sheets to cover herself.

"Having fun?" My voice came out in the flattest and most uninterested tone, yet inside I was trying to control the fury I felt and the urge to beat Wyatt into a pulp.

"I can explain! She invited me here!" Wyatt said while trying to put on his boxers.

"I doubt there is much more to explain. You fucked my girlfriend."

"It was only one time!" He looked like a trapped animal as I was still standing by the door.

"It's your fault, Matt! If you didn't spend so much time working with your stupid cameras, none of this would have happened."

I didn't fall for her fake tears. None of that was reason enough to cheat on me.

"You know, it's curious. When me and the money I earn with my stupid cameras buys you stuff you don't seem to have a problem with it. But since you rather fuck Wyatt, my stupid cameras and I would like your things and you both to be out of here by the time I come back."

As I was about to leave the apartment, I turned back and searched throughout her purse. I took my second set of keys away and her phone. After putting the keys in my pocket, I smashed her phone on the floor where it flew into pieces all over the living room. I pay for that one, so now she can ask Wyatt to buy her a new one, which will be tricky since he's jobless and lives in his brother's basement.

I didn't know what to do and just went back to the studio. I tried to spend some time reviewing the day's photos but I couldn't concentrate. Why the fuck did she cheat on me when all I've ever done is take care of her? I even thought of asking her to marry me, which I'm glad now I didn't. I took a deep breath and didn't let the tears spill. Confrontation and disappointment have never affected me, but this was so low and unexpected. The walls felt as if they were closing on me and I was on the edge of getting a headache so I closed the studio again and went on a walk. The fresh air felt good. It didn't clear my head but it distracted me. Ahead of me, I saw people making a line to enter Moonlight House and decided right then and there that I could sulk in a crowded place with a fresh beer.

Then she arrived and walked past me. She greeted a few people in the line with a hug and told them she was looking forward to see them inside. As people left the club, I was eventually allowed to enter. The band was playing and I took the opportunity that people were dancing to occupy a stool at the end of the bar. That's when I saw her again, purple hair, an amazing voice and being so energetic that the stage seemed too small for her presence.