Chapter 40

George POV.

I hear a shot ring out as we jump, and I feel a painfully numbing sensation in my arm.

We hit the cold pool water with a hard smack. I felt the wind being knocked out of me, and it takes me a moment to start moving my freezing arms and legs.

"George..! Are you okay?" Clay asks, panic and fear laced in his wheezing voice.

"Y-yeah. Are you?" I respond, shivering. I break my head through the rough surface, taking a painful gulp of air. I get my footing at the bottom of the pool.

"I'm.. I'm okay I think." He pants, his voice hoarse. His eyes narrow at the sight of my right arm, and I turn to see what it is.

There's blood in the water.

"Oh my god." He says quietly. I blink back tears that sting my eyes.

"Ow.." I say after the adrenaline rush wears off. "It... it does kind of hurt but it's nothing. I'll be fine."

"That's not fine.. y-you got shot..." his face turns pale. I ignore him and throw my arms around his neck, and his hands are immediately at my waist. I hug his chest close, thankful to be alive.

"I'm fine, love. I c-can't even f-feel it." I whimper, my voice shaky from the cold.

Our neighbor, Mrs. Sanderson suddenly bursts out the door.

"What the hell?" She exclaims, her brow furrowed. Her loud voice makes me jump.

"We.. Mrs. Sanderson- please... you have to help us." I plead to our neighbor. Her expression softens.

"What happened? I know you guys are good kids." She says slowly.

"The... someone broke into our house. They cornered us on the roof and we had to jump." Clay explains, pulling me back into his arms. "They had a gun."

"Oh dear... are you boys okay? George, what's that on your arm?" She turns pale, noticing the blood in the chlorine pool water.

"Uh.. I don't know." I say. "I think."

"Let me get some towels and call 9-1-1 for you boys, alright? Come inside, you can wait in here." She offers.

"Th-thank you." Clay and I both say. I start trudging through the water, heavily picking my feet up. I hear him moving behind me, and a thought goes through my head. Hurriedly, I look back at our roof to see if the man was gone. He was. I shiver, turning back to the house.

"I can't believe we did that." I hear a sweet voice say behind me. I smile.

"I know, right? That was crazy!" I laugh. He laughs with me.

I sigh happily. "I'm glad your okay." I say quietly, turning to face him. I see that he has a small smile on his face, his cheeks turning a vibrant shade of ruby.

"I'm happy you are too. For the most part." He gestures to my arm, letting out a small laugh. I touch it lightly, smiling wider. I ignore the burning pain of the chlorine in the deep wound.

"That looks like it hurts.. are you sure you're okay?" He says, concern laced in his voice.

"It's... okay." I say, wincing. His expression softens.

"You don't need to act tough around me. I want to help you." I feel my heart rate pick up.

"Okay. I'm sorry. It does kind of hurt." I cave in. "But I can deal with it."

"She'll patch it up, love." He reassured me, taking my hand again.

"You're very persuading." I laugh, and a light inside me flicks on when I see him grin.