Chapter 44

Clay POV.

I could hardly recognize George after he climbed out of the police car. His arm was severely broken, and his chest and abdomen was a colorful assortment of bruise colors and cuts and blood. I felt like crying. Like screaming. Like running up and hugging him, kissing him like we're the only two people alive.

But he collapsed before I could get a word out.

"George!" I screamed, watching his head hit the ground hard. I ran to him, his small body crashing into the gravel.

"Oh my god. " I hear Nick whisper. Karl seems speechless. Katie, however, starts bawling. She makes a move towards George like I do, but she stops several feet away, as if she can hurt the air around him.

I felt fresh tears sting my eyes as I watched his body get loaded into an ambulance, and I asked if I could ride along. Katie asked too. Karl and Nick said they could drive to meet us at the hospital.

George tries to get up as they strap him to a stretcher, insisting it was unnecessary. But I helped hold him down, and it pained me to see him like this.

"George..." I whisper. "Please, talk to me." He turns to look in my direction, and smiles- actually smiles at me.

"I'm glad your here." He says weakly. "Really glad. Are you okay, Katie?" He turns to her, wincing as he does so. I take hold of George's hand, squeezing it in my own.

"I love you." I whisper, a tear traveling down my face. He reaches up painfully, and brings my face down to his, softly pressing his lips to mine. I open my mouth slightly, giving his tongue more access to mine. I moan breathlessly into his mouth, and he bites down on my kissed-out bottom lip.

"I love you too." He says, our lips still connected. As he pulls away slightly, I can feel his warm breath on my face. I move to sit on the side of the stretcher, my hands never leaving his soft but bruised face.

"What happened, George?" I ask finally. He sighs, a shy smile on his face.

"Well, I went to go get you your favorite cookies to cheer you up about Patches, but um. My real mom kidnapped me." Katie's head pops up instantly.

"Mom. Mom who left when we were 5?" Katie doesn't try to mask her surprise. George slowly nods his head.

"And she kidnapped you." She says in disbelief.

"And snapped my arm." I wince at his broken arm, but his good hand reaches up to run through my hair soothingly. I feel better instantly, but I still feel a little sad.

"That looks like it hurts." I say quietly. He hesitates, then nods. I sigh.

"I was okay, George. I would have been with you. And now your at the hospital." I feel myself tear up, and I quickly look away. His hand pulls my face towards his again, and he wipes my tears from my cheeks with the back of his bruised hand.

"It's okay. It's okay." He whispers, smiling weakly. "We're okay. That's all I care about."

"But I care about you. You have to be okay." I whimper.

"I will be. Nothing is life threatening, really just a broken arm and bruises." He pauses. "Want me to tell you how I escaped?" I see the corner of his mouth lift up in a grin, and seeing him smile makes me feel better.

"Yeah, but how did you get there in the first place?" I ask curiously.

"I was walking, and a van pulled up and my mom was behind me so I turned to look at her, and someone from behind twisted my arms so I couldn't move.. they threw me in a van and my arms were tied up so I couldn't catch myself." He pauses again, pointing to his face and chest. "I woke up in this big room tied to a chair, and I think she had a bodyguard or something because I screamed at her and he came over and just snapped my arm.. but I was able to untie the ropes secretly. Then she got closer after I said "get the hell away from me." So I kind of um... I threw the chair at her." He chuckles nervously.