29.

"Alastor Moody." The former Auror wrote his name on the board. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Meli looked around. The students seemed slightly frightened.

"When it comes to the dark arts, believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how man unforgivable
curses there are?"

Granger raised her hand. "Three sir."

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of
any one of them will..." The annoying Gryffindor shifted on her seat.

"Get you a first-class cell at Azkaban." Meli finished, leaning back on her chair.

Moody pointed at her and turned to write something else on the board. "Correct, Hiddleston. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head." The boy muttered.

Mad-Eye threw the chalk in anger. "And can hear whispers across a classroom! Now, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!"

"Euuuh, yes?" said the redhead stupidly.

"Give us a curse, boy."

"My dad t-told me about one...The imperious curse."

"Yes, yes, your father would know. The Ministry had quite a problem with this one in the past. Let's see..."

The man slowly opened a glass box and pointed his wand inside. "Imperio!"

A spider climbed out and followed the wand's movement to a desk. The man made her jump around the class from heads to heads. It landed on Weasley's mass of hair and the boy let out a high pitched scream. Meli fell of her chair from laughing to hard, bringing with her a bunch of her books. Laughing next to her, Draco helped her back up.

"Something funny?" Mad-eye said, sending the spider on Draco.

Draco yelled, trying to pull back. But the spider still ended up on his head and sent him in a full panic. He screamed and hit Crabbe and Goyle until they managed to get the creature off him. Mad-eye brought the spider back to him.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" he said, flying the spider to the window, a glasse of water and back at him.

There was no laughter left in the classroom as they understood the true power of the spell and why the Ministry didn't want them learning it.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another... another... Come on come on. Longbottom is it? Up."

Longbottom stood and swallowed, eyes fixed on the spider that was now back in her original box.

"Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology."

His only aptitude, if you ask me, Meli thought with a smile.

"There's the um... The cruciatus curse."

What a surprise, he actually knows the answer.

"Correct! Correct! come come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse."

Under everyone's eyes, Professor Moody pointed his wand at the spider. "Crucio!"

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!" Granger yelled after a few seconds.

Meli hadn't been watching Longbottom but as the spider stop squirming and moving in pain and her eyes went to the boy's face she saw how troubled he was. His face was white and his sweat was visible from her place.

Now, Meli might be a bitch but she wasn't heartless. She felt bad for the Gryffindor and relieved that Mad-eye had stopped at Granger's scream.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Miss Granger."

The Gryffindor girl shook her head. Mad-eye stared at the spider who was barely moving and said the spell more calmly than he's been the whole class. "Avadakadavra."

"The killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. And he's sitting in this room."

Slowly, he approached Potter, fixing him, and took a shot of whatever was in his gourd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Go, Ced, go!" Jane was yelling from her seat. Meli watched her as she cheered her boyfriend on, the older boy throwing his name in the Cup.

"And you're not worried at all for him?" she asked.

"Sure I am, but just imagine he gets selected, wins and become extra-rich." Jane answered, getting up to join Diggory.

"That is a very valid point," Meli nodded as she spoke.

"I know."

"What are you two going on about?" Draco asked, taking his place next to Meli.

"We're talking about how Jane is using Diggory for the money he might have a chance to win."

"What?" The subject of the discussion appeared, his arm linked round Jane's waist.

"Nothing love, they're just joking." Jane gave them a 'I will kill you later' look before taking her boyfriend away.

"Were we? Joking, I mean." Meli said to Draco, turning to him.

"I think that if she has a boyfriend giving her money, you need someone like that too."

"Dumbledore." The girl said with no hesitation.

Draco looked lost. "What?"

"Dumbledore." At his horrified expression she shrugged and smiled. "I'm sure the old man is freakishly rich."

Fred and George came into the room under applauses and Meli placed her attention on them, happy for the distraction. They drank a potion, passed the 'age line', got kicked out of it and grew beards. All of that under the cheers and laughs of everyone else. Then the noise faded as Victor Krum walked in, big and strong, and dropped his name in the Cup. He left, followed by some friends and Igor Karkaroff.

Meli watched it unfold in front of her with just enough attention that she laughed at the good places and waved back at Fred. She was painfully aware of Draco behind her.

Because of course Dumbledore wasn't the first one she thought about. But the actual answer was way more terrifying, even if it started as a joke. You.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

heyyy! so this one is a bit shorter but it's because it's mostly introducing mad-eye and explaining the tournament and shit.

it literally pains me to write about cedric and i will be crying when he dies.
Hope you enjoyed,

Laeti