38.

During the potion class the day before the ball, Doris paired them up. The woman must've wanted an excuse to give the Gryffindors detentions, thought Meli. They all knew who were more likely to lose their temper.

But she ended up grateful for the teacher's decision when her name appeared on the board next to Potter's. Blaise threw her an apprehensive glance over Draco's disgusted face and Jane shrugged, unbothered.

Jane didn't express any negative feeling when she got paired with Dean Thomas either, contrary to Draco who made very clear his aversion to one redhead Gruffindor. Blaise simply ignored Lavander Brown's wave when their names appeared in pair.

Meli waited with an innocent smile for Potter to make his way to her, amused at the doubtful expression on his features. "Good morning, Potter."

"Hi?" Potter managed to get out, uncertain and surprised by the nice greeting.

Oh, for Merlin's sake.

"Yes, hi Potter. Can you go fetch the ingredients? I'll prepare the caldron," she asked, already igniting a fire with her wand.

Potter mumbled an agreement and scurried only to come back with a handful of herbs and pots. They worked together, her snapping at him when he would mess up and him rolling hie eyes at her insults. They might've been in an agreement concerning Blaise but they still didn't get along.

Deciding one moment would not better than another, Meli spoke as Potter added a plant to their potion.

"Potter, do you have a date for the Yull Ball yet?" she asked, innocently laying her head in her hand, elbow supporting its weight.

The boy gave her a look from the corner of his eyes. He was probably trying to figure out if this was an embuscade. Uncertainly, he answered. "No, I didn't even ask anyone."

Meli smiled, preparing for the hit. "Would you like to go with me, then?"

She knew Potter would be surprised. She knew he would have an intense reaction. But she did not expect for him to drop the entire contents of the vial in their caldron, causing it to explode in their faces, fume escaping into the classroom.

Potter didn't seem to notice all of that, though. He was staring at Meli through the smoke, brows so low his eyes were half hidden and mouth opened as if he wanted to say something but his mind wasn't functional enough to do so. Meli suppressed a giggle at how stupid he looked and that brought him out of his trans.

"What's going on? Is there a reason behind this?" he asked, struggling to find his words.

"Potter, you know me. Not personally, but you know me. Do you think there's a reason behind this?"

She knew most eyes were on them but they had been talking low enough that no one could've heard. Miss Doris was still busy cleaning up, giving them maybe a minute or two before and the reprimands.

Potter's eyes flickered behind Meli, where she knew Blaise was staring at them. When he came back to her she nodded, subtly, but he saw it.

An uncertain look on his face, he nodded back and then, with words, "Yeah, I'll go with you."

That was when Miss Doris arrived to their desk, furious. "Care to explain?"

They stumbled through a made up excuse as to why they had blown up a school caldron and got out with a week of detention each. The class ended and Meli rushed out, dodging Blaise who tried to speak to her. Her invitation to Potter attracted more attention than she expect and she wasn't ready to answer her friend's questions.

She made it to the Great Hall without seeing either of them and thought she had made it safely when Jane came up at her side, sliding an arm in hers.

"When do you want to tell me?"

When not do you. Because they both knew Jane would unavoidably get it out of her.

"Later," Meli muttered out.

As Meli sat down, Karla got up and walked to the Gryffindor table. She didn't move the way Mei did–aware and appreciative of the stares. She strolled, confident in her goal and knowing she had no reason not to be.

She stopped behind Weasley and Potter, who ate, unaware of her presence, and under Granger's widened eyes bowed over their shoulders with a smile. Both boys jumped, startled. Meli couldn't hear what was said but she saw Karla's head turn to Weasley. That allowed her to see the girl's lips move and Weasley become redder than his hair. He nodded slowly and Karla left looking satisfied.

The news of Weasley being asked to the Yull Ball by Karla spread around the castle faster than that time when a prefect was found with her girlfriend in a compromising position by Flitwick. It did not make him cool out off sudden, students we're mostly confused.

Unlike the twins, who were handsome and charismatic, the younger ginger brother hadn't grown out of his childhood yet. Round cheeks, shaggy limbs and hair at that place where they're too long but you still shouldn't cut them, Ron Weasley was not particularly charming. So why would Karla, who was undeniably attractive, ask him?

Surprising as it may have been, it blended in the many gossips surrounding the afternoon of the ball. Meli didn't know about the boys but the girl's dormitories were like a usine working at full power, the clicks and clacks of machinery replaced by those of heels and the orders barked at workers by those of friends asking for help with their dress. Not one dorm had it's door closed, girls of fourth year and above coming in and out of the rooms with more accessories and clothes every time.

Meli laughed with Jane and their other friends as they got ready for the night, some blabbering about their dates while the others did their makeup, everyone flying around the room and helping each other.

All the girls looked elegant and put together. Not as if their families would have it any other way. They were Slytherins after all, they couldn't stain the name.

Jane was stunning in an all black outfit. Black heels that rolled around her ankles, black dress with an open back that showed her omoplates and even a black pearl necklace. The only thing not black in her outfit was the blue makeup that rounded her eyes, making their colour stand out. She swirled around in front of Meli, arms waiting for the compliments.

Meli applauded before taking the pose herself. She was wearing a long green velour dress that hugged her figure nicely, a slip showing off her left leg and the simple gray heel the cushioned her foot. Black eye shadow lined her eyes and her lashes had been made longer and darker with a quick charm. As Jane approved with a laugh, Meli turned to the mirror. She looked great, she felt great and she was about to have a great night.

The girls made their way in little groups to the Great Hall. One by one, they joined their dates at the bottom of the stairs, many of them receiving a kiss. Jane had to wait for Diggory outside since he was a champion and waved at Meli with encouragement.

Meli didn't need to take an inspiration before going in the Hall. She raised her chin, passed a hand through her flattened hair and began to come down the stairs.

Now, she wasn't the main character in some cheesy romantic comedy. The whole room didn't stare at her with eyes filled of admiration, the music didn't change only for her entry and the crowd didn't make way for her. No, she pushed through couples to arrive at the bottom of the stairs and then only some people stared at her.

Three young men were standing, not together but all in her fiel of vision, and all three had their eyes glued to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi again, sorry again for not updating for a while and see you again next chapter. promise i'll write faster this time lol
hope you enjoyed,

laetitia