chapter 16 ~ presents ice skates & snowballs

CHAPTER 16 - PRESENTS, ICE SKATES & SNOWBALLS

***

When I woke up the next morning the sun was already shining into the room and made me cringe when I opened my eyes. The sun rays seemed to be refracted in the snow outside which only made them shine even brighter, if that was still possible.

An arm was wrapped tightly around my waist and I was pulled close to a muscular torso which I could feel through the tee I was wearing.

I smiled to myself; waking up next to Braden was one of the best feelings in the entire world.

The bed was warm and cozy and if I could I would stay here for the rest of the day, right here in Braden's arms. But I knew that we would have to get up at some point, especially because my Christmas presents were waiting for me and so I turned around in his arms to wake him up.

Just a few seconds later I had to admit that this was a bad idea. Because as soon as I had fully turned around, I had to realize that it wasn't Braden who was holding me close.

It was Nathan.

Without thinking about it I screamed loudly and scooted away from him as fast as I could.

But my scream had obviously been loud enough to wake him up and he seemed to be so shocked that he joined in and loudly screamed as well.

After a few seconds we both had to stop to catch our breaths and just stared at each other with wide eyes.

"Payton? Nathan? Is everything okay in there?" I suddenly heard my mom's voice from the door.

Without thinking about, I just said the first thing that came to my mind to get her to leave again. "Everything's okay mom. There's just a spider in our room and you know about my relationship with them."

"Oh, okay sweetheart. Do you want me to send your dad up to remove it? Nathan sounded as if he is afraid of it as well."

"No, mom. It's okay. He was just screaming because he didn't expect me to scream."

"Alright. But remember to get ready after getting rid of the spider, it's time to unwrap the presents."

I told her that we would be downstairs in about half an hour and just seconds later I could hear her walking down the stairs again.

I sighed in relief, it seemed like she hadn't become suspicious at all. How could I forget about Nathan sleeping in the same bed like me?

"Why the hell were you screaming, Payton?" Nathan asked and made me look at him again.

"I don't know. I guess I just kind of forgot that you were lying next to me. Before I turned around I actually thought you were Braden."

He grimaced before replying to me; he obviously didn't really like my answer. "But you were the one who told me to sleep in the bed."

"Look, I'm sorry. I know I did but I guess I just forgot about it this morning. Maybe I was still too sleepy or I dreamed about something that made me think about him. Just please don't be angry. I swear it won't happen again as long as we're here." I apologized, this was absolutely embarrassing. No one would ever believe me if I told them that I screamed at my fake boyfriend because I thought he was my real boyfriend.

"Alright, I'll forgive you. As long as you spare me the details from your dreams. I really don't want to know what kind of dreams make you think you're lying next to him." He said and grimaced again.

It took me a few seconds but then even I realized what he was hinting at.

"You're such an idiot." I groaned and playfully hit his chest before getting up from the bed. "I'm going to get ready now; it's time for the Christmas presents."