chapter 31 ~ confessing and proposing

CHAPTER 31 - CONFESSING AND PROPOSING

***

"I'm so glad you have feelings for me as well. I thought you would reject me." Nathan said while placing small kisses on my neck.

The touch of his lips sent tingles down my spine and goosebumps appeared on my skin.

"I love you Payton." He whispered while looking directly into my eyes.

"I love you too." I replied before crashing my lips onto his.

"Payton, wake up." I suddenly heard a female voice and shot up with shock.

"You scared the shit out of me Macy." I said when I saw who was standing next to the couch I had slept on.

"Well, you were starting to talk in your sleep again so I thought it would be time to finally wake you up. And I have to get home anyway; it was nice spending the afternoon with you."

"I'm so sorry Macy, I was just so tired because I didn't get much sleep during the last few nights and I actually didn't mean to fall asleep while you're here. I really am so sorry, believe me I ..."

"Payton, stop it." She interrupted me. "I was just joking; I know exactly why you've been sleeping so little during the last few nights."

"And why would that be?" I asked confused.

"Because you can't stop thinking about Nathan and the fact that he's in Texas and you're here gives you sleepless nights. You miss him because you have feelings for him. You just finally have to admit it." She explained.

"Why do you think I have feelings for him?" I asked her.

"Because I'm your best friend and I can see it in your eyes every time I mention his name."

"No, I don't have feelings for him. Why should I have feelings for a guy who would never return them? I know he would break my heart, Macy."

"What was your dream about?" She suddenly asked and I just looked at her in confusion.

"What does that got to do with anything?"

"Just answer me. I'm your best friend, you can tell me. And don't even try lying to me; I know what you look like when you do."

"It was about Nathan and me." I finally admitted.

"And what were the two of you doing?" She asked with a sly smile on her face.

"That's irrelevant right now." I mumbled and crossed my arms.

"It's not." She smirked. "Like I said, you were talking in your sleep and were saying that you love someone too. So I'll just assume that the two of you have been admitting that you love each other which means a little kissing was involved as well. Which in turn means that you do miss him and that you have feelings for him, right?"

I just stared at her with wide eyes. I couldn't exactly say 'no' right now because Macy would know that I was lying.

Yes, I had feelings for Nathan. I didn't only like him as a friend; I wanted him to be more than this. I wanted him to be my boyfriend. My real boyfriend this time but I had been trying to cover it up since I'd realized it.

I didn't want anyone to know about my feelings because I had planned on getting rid of those -feelings again. I was afraid that Nathan would reject me if I told him about it. As far as I knew the only relationship he'd ever had had been in high school and I just knew he would break my heart.

He had only been having smaller affairs and one night stands during the last few years and I was sure he wouldn't want to be in a relationship with me. He would reject me and would break my heart and I was just afraid of that.