chapter 14 ~ flying home for christmas

~ FLYING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS ~

My eyes were red and swollen and even though I'd just taken a shower, my skin was still pale and grayish. To make a long story short, I looked horrible.

The night had been sleepless for me and I had only been tossing and turning. I couldn't get yesterday's events out of my head and the break up affected me more than I had thought at first.

Even though we had only been together for about one and a half months he had become an important part of my life. And now that he was gone I just felt empty.

Sighing I took my brush from one of the drawers and started brushing my hair to get rid of the tangles.

After putting away my brush and my blow dryer I decided to put my hair together in a high ponytail. I really wasn't in the mood to straighten or curl it today.

Now the only problem left was my face but that problem was bigger than I expected at first. Even the expensive make up Anna had given to me couldn't help and so I quickly gave up and decided to wear a pair of sunglasses to cover the catastrophe.

"Payton, are you finished yet?" I suddenly heard Nathan's voice in front of the door and almost had a heart attack. I had completely forgotten that he was still here.

"Almost. I only have to get dressed then you can take a shower."

I quickly put on a pair of black skinny jeans and a dark green knit sweater over my underwear and left the bathroom just when Nathan was leaving the room again.

"Where are you going?" I called after him, completely confused.

"Your doorbell rang. It's probably the driver who wants to pick up our bags, even though he seems to be a bit early."

"Alright." I replied and then went over to my bed to throw some last things into my handbag.

Suddenly, I heard loud shouts coming from my living room and so I quickly let my things fall onto my bed to see what was going on.

"What the hell is ..." I started but stopped when I saw who Nathan had been arguing with.

"I think I'm gonna leave you two alone." Nathan said and quickly walked past me to disappear in the bathroom.

The front door went shut with a click and I turned back towards it.

"Why are you here? If it's only to make me feel even worse than I already do, you can immediately leave again because that's impossible."

"I'm actually here to apologize." He replied.

I looked at him in disbelief. "If you're trying to make fun of me right now then better start running as fast as you can if you still want to be able to make babies, Braden." I said through gritted teeth, now that he was standing in front of me the sadness was slowly turning into anger again.

"I'm completely serious Payton. I haven't gotten any sleep last night because I was constantly thinking about our argument. I would do anything to undo it."

Something in his eyes told me that he really wasn't making fun of me and that I could believe him. Some people might call me naïve now but there indeed was something that showed me that he was telling the truth.

I motioned for him to continue talking and after a few seconds he did.

"I'm sorry for everything I said last night. And I'm sorry for accusing you of having a thing with Nathan. From the beginning on you were honest with me and you didn't keep him from me. I should've known that you only spend time with him because of the contract. After you've told me that you'd spent Christmas with him I just overreacted. I actually thought you would be able to spend the holiday season the way you want to spend it and that's why I was assuming that you decided to spend it with your family and him because you have feelings for him. I was stupid and I hope you can forgive me, Payton."