chapter 13

Where one might see privacy, another may see opportunity.

More than a year has passed since my knighting, and my independence has grown tremendously.

Something is troubling me today.
I've been assigned by the High Council, via hologram transmission, to accompany a padawan on a mission to protect Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo, after two attempts on her life have occurred.

The first attempt being a bombing of her cruiser upon her return to Coruscant, and then last night, when she was nearly killed by an assassin hired by a mysterious bounty hunter.

I paced towards the Council Chambers as soon as I was called in and waited outside for a moment. The Council would not let me in until the padawan joining me and their master arrived, to my slight frustration. I leaned against the wall and began to tap my heel, trying to pass the time.

Most of the assignments I've been on were tasks for me alone, or with my former master. When I was knighted, watching over a padawan that wasn't even my own was certainly not included in the tasks I thought I'd complete. I'm usually optimistic about missions, but when you're stuck waiting around while the person you're meant to be accompanying is late, it won't meet a very positive reaction.

I crossed my arms and closed my eyes, still tapping my foot against the ground impatiently.

I tried to inform myself on the assignment and why I was to be the person to complete it, to little avail. Surprisingly, I hadn't yet been told who I was to watch over as we escorted Senator Amidala to Naboo.

The only thing I knew was that she was in grave danger, and the older Jedi was supposed to look into the threats. Given the rush of my addition to the mission, that was all the insight I had for now.

I felt a familiar presence. I couldn't quite pinpoint who or what it was, since I've worked with many other Jedi before.

I opened my eyes and looked down, slightly furrowing my eyebrows. I then glanced over to my left, where I saw two Jedi, a master and an apprentice, walking in my direction while bickering. Any sense of stability in my mind or body left at that very moment.

That's why I had felt the familiar presence, one I haven't felt in about five years now. I never dared let myself lay my eyes on Anakin Skywalker again, yet here we were, alongside his mentor, to speak to twelve of the highest esteemed Jedi of our time.

I have a very bad feeling about this. I widened my eyes in shock for a moment before blinking it off and pushing myself away from the wall to greet them.

Anakin had the same shocked look on his face as I had only moments earlier, but he wasn't trying to conceal it.

"Master Kenobi," I greet him before glancing at Anakin for less than a second,
"Padawan Skywalker, it's certainly been a while."

The last time I saw them, Anakin had just assumed I somehow had feelings for him, despite only knowing each other for a week. Now, I've started to deny the fact that he might actually have been right, but I couldn't admit that to even myself.

"Yes, well. As you know, the Council is still reluctant to send Anakin on a mission alone," Obi-Wan remarks. "This was the next best thing."

Anakin glared at him and furrowed his eyebrows in deception, just as arrogant as when I first met him. "What?" he asks, not knowing anything about our assignment.

"I think it's best we go inside now," I state. They follow me into the Council Chambers.

***

Throughout the meeting, Anakin kept staring at me momentarily, which I ignored, but found slightly disturbing nonetheless.