chapter 46

No one is free of higher power.

My padawan and I return to the bridge while our team figures out a possible strategy to rescue the colonists of Kiros.

"D'Nar told us the colonists would be sold off during a Zygerrian slave auction," Anakin states, still obviously tense from the mere mention of slavery.

"Which means we'll have to infiltrate their ranks somehow and find out where they're being held," I add. The group turns to me, and then to the boy next to me.

"Who's this?" he asks, not yet aware that I have a student of my own.

"I'm Caleb," my apprentice introduces himself. "I'm Master y/l/n's padawan."

I look down at him and nod, confirming the statement. "So, did you draw up a plan to rescue them?" I wonder, eager to get this operation on track.

"Obi-Wan, Rex and I were going to pose as slavers," says Anakin, "and bargain off Ahsoka to the queen."

"I assume I'll be tagging along and playing that same part," I add.

"Well, we don't think you'd be the right fit for-"

"What Anakin means to say is that you don't look intimidating enough," Obi-Wan interrupts.

"Besides, the Zygerrian armor might not fit you, sir," Rex remarks.

They are right, and a little wrong.

Though I don't like the fact that assumptions will be made based on the fact that I may not be a man, they are right on that. In a realistic sense, those slavers just won't think I'm tough enough to be one of them, especially since my appearance indicates that I just lost a fight.

"Maybe I could be the bargain, then," I suggest.

"We wanted Ahsoka for the part, since she's a Togruta, like the colonists, but there's still time to reconsider."

I fold my arms over my chest and turn to her. Ahsoka has a sour look on her face. "Ahsoka, I just don't want to put your life at risk," I try to reassure her. "You and Caleb can stay on the cruiser, we'll call in case trouble arises."

The two of them shrug in frustration. Great, now I have another Ahsoka to take care of.

I drop my hand on Caleb's shoulder and look at him. "You'll come on a mission soon, I promise."

"Thank you, Master," he says with a distinguished nod.

I let go as Anakin, Rex and Obi-Wan join me. We walk through the cruiser's hallways.

"Since we've taken possession of D'Nar's ship, we could use that to sneak through to the auction," Master Kenobi plans.

"I'm assuming we'll need some kind of disguise," I state. Zygerria won't let just anyone in aboard one of their ships, especially three Jedi and a clone.

"We picked a few things up along the way that might help us blend in."

We make our way to a seemingly empty storage room. On a table ahead of us are a few things; three sets of Zygerrian armor and a few other pieces of clothing and cloaks. I assume that's what I'll have to wear.

I walk up to the table, admiring the choices offered to me. Not knowing what to choose, I pick up the first thing in front of me.

I raise the piece—pieces and look at them.

The others walk up beside me and took their sets of armor as I'm left pondering over the ensemble that lays in my grip. It's a black two-piece set, completed with hints of gold chains and jewelry.