chapter 93

Not all achievements are reached earnestly.

I leave the empty seat beside Master Eeth Koth vacant.

I am merely an auditor. I have not earned a place on the Council. I stand behind Obi-Wan, who has graciously offered to let me tag along. He has not elaborated on what the meeting is about. All he knows is that it has something to do with the Chancellor and Anakin, and it is urgent. The rest of the Council doesn't seem to mind my presence. After all, they trust Obi-Wan. Since I am with him, they consider me trustworthy.

The heavy chamber doors slide open and reveal Anakin. He passes the entrance. His eyes widen slightly upon seeing me.

I bow my head subtly as a show of respect and greeting.

He turns to Master Yoda and does the same, but he can't help but glance back at me. I squint as the bright, late-afternoon sun emerges from the clouds to land in my field of vision. I look at the floor until Anakin starts talking.

"I've just spoken with the Chancellor," he says. "He wants to appoint me as his personal representative on the Jedi Council."

This is surprising, but it seems fitting. The Chancellor craves control, and the only entity he cannot control within the Republic is the Jedi Council. Why wouldn't he appoint someone with his interests to said Council? Still, I question whether he has the authority to do so. His influence may be strong enough that he doesn't need it.

Master Yoda and Master Windu murmur amongst themselves. Across the room, a few Jedi Masters I am not acquainted with do the same. Their buzzing whispers die down once their reach a consensus.

"Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not," Master Yoda says. "Disturbing, is this move by Chancellor Palpatine."

"I understand," Anakin says dryly. He appears to disagree with Yoda's sentiment.

"You are on this Council," Master Windu says, "but we do not grant you the rank of Master."

Anakin looks at him and I catch the subtle twitch in his eye, the shadows forming on his eyelids as he leans down to say, "What?"

The room falls deafly silent. The Council members sit attentively, waiting to hear what else he has to say. I think I know what's coming. This won't end well. Anakin scans the room, his gaze landing on Obi-Wan, then on me, and I don't know what to express. I try to widen my eyes in surprise, like I didn't see this coming. However, Obi-Wan reeks of frustration.

"How could you do this?" Anakin demands, glaring at Obi-Wan. Soon enough, he looks back at Windu. "This is outrageous. It's unfair!"

The Council members turn to each other: Windu to Yoda, Yoda to Mundi, Mundi to Kenobi, Kenobi to Windu, and so forth. Meanwhile, I look at my husband, wishing I could take him out of the room in the middle of his outburst.

"How can you be on the Council, and not be a Master?" he asks Windu.

Anakin's ego is like a ballon. It is inflated, yet so fragile that a single, sharp point of pressure is enough to make him burst. I understand his frustration, but if he's meant to be Palpatine's representative on the Council, I understand why he wouldn't be granted the rank of Master. He's representing someone else—who is not a Jedi—on the Council.

He is a political pawn. This isn't about him. It's about the animosity between the Council and the Chancellor. It's a power struggle.

"Take a seat, Young Skywalker," Master Windu says pointedly, gesturing towards the empty seat beside Master Koth.

Anakin bows, but he keeps his head down. "Forgive me, Master," he says, staring at the floor. Nothing about that apology is genuine.

I know this hurt his pride, but his pain seems to come from somewhere else, as well. He wanted to be a Master, for some reason. We're leaving soon, so I don't understand why he needs the title.