chapter 29

Fighting the good fight is to not fight alone.

Being locked up in a cell is certainly unfamiliar to me. After one of our missions to capture General Grievous and Count Dooku, Anakin and I were apprehended by Seperatist forces in the Outer Rim.

Though unpleasant, we had to play the part of prisoners, for the sake of the Republic. Yes, it was planned out. To make the enemy think they had the upper hand on us.

Any attempt to contact our fleet was a bust, all we had to do was hope someone would figure out where we were. That's the only problem, we knew we'd get captured, but we didn't know where.

"For once, your recklessness didn't pay off," I tell Anakin, crossing my arms.

"That's one of the risks you have to take when you go along with it," my husband says smugly.

"Always is, I guess. But don't think I'll forgive you so soon for getting us caught."

He smiles. "I know. You'll have to forgive me eventually, though."

"You really are a piece of work, aren't—" I stop talking for a moment, hearing footsteps.

"Go on, don't get scared by—"

"Shh," I order, holding up two fingers, urging him to shut up.

"What's with the—" I put my fingers on his lips and give him a menacing look.

"Someone's out there," I whisper. I jump up to the ceiling and try to stay suspended using the Force. "Get up here."

Anakin follows me up and we make eye contact right as our cell door opens. The intruder, whoever they are, start walking through the room.

We nod at each other and jump down, ready to face whoever broke into our cell. A lightsaber points at our faces, shedding light from its familiar blue blade.

"Oh, it's you," Anakin says as we recognize the intruder as none other than Master Kenobi.

"This is how you thank me for rescuing you, pounce on me from the ceiling?" he laughs.

"Not much we can do without our..." Obi-Wan hands us our weapons, "lightsabers. Thank you."

"Did you manage to locate Dooku before landing in jail?"

"We know he's on board," Anakin answers. "We might've had something to do about it if we'd had our weapons."

We start walking out of the cell, and into the hallway ahead of us. It's wider than I thought, but we have to be careful to not alert any guards. Not that there are any. I think Obi-Wan destroyed them.

"Calm down, they never would've bought the act if we came here with them," I say.

"Oh, they bought it, all right. Why am I always the one getting caught?" he asks Obi-Wan. "It doesn't look good."

"When you're a Jedi Master, you can make the plan."

"That's just it. How can I become a Jedi Master if I'm always getting caught?"

"At least you're a master at getting caught."

"Very funny."

I rub my temple in disappointment. "Are you done?" I ask. Obviously, Anakin and I fought in public a lot, but that didn't mean anything. When he bickered with other people on official missions is when I got annoyed, almost like actual duties eluded him.

"Yeah," he replies.

We got to a room at the end of the hallway and large doors slid open to reveal Count Dooku meditating. I could tell he sensed our presence, but he didn't bother himself with any kind of greeting.