chapter 20

Pain is the gateway to fear.

This was far from being the end, I knew it. With hundreds of Jedi in the audience, there was a guarantee we could at least got out of this arena alive. I had a good feeling this time.

We stared in amazement as hundreds of Jedi jumped down into the arena. Battle droids came out to counter them, and they all charged past with ferocity. So many Jedi ran at them, it looked like a full-on war zone.

Two lightsabers were thrown up to Obi-Wan and Anakin, one blue and one green. We were knocked off our mount and onto the ground, but we got back on our feet swiftly and Senator Amidala reached for the nearest blaster. We each tore apart dozens of flimsy battle droids.

I'd have to admit, I wasn't that fond of battles, but destroying all those droids felt like a rushing wave of relief drowning me. They weren't alive, after all, and their programming would only lead to more destruction, so it was only fair.

Padmé took control of the cart that brought us here and Anakin and I jumped in. Even though it was a tight fit, we managed to pry apart just enough distance to properly wield our lightsabers and fend off incoming attacks.

A battalion of battle droids came out to greet us from one of the many entrances. Or what I assumed to be a battalion. But the point remained; there were too many of them for my liking. And soon, there would be a lot less.

I glance at Anakin, whose lightsaber's hue emulated the same shade as mine. I know this is a battle and all, but I found it nice that we both had green blades. It was just a quick and harmless observation.

The horned creature started running over the Mandalorian that captured us earlier, who must've been the bounty hunter Obi-Wan warned us about, Jango Fett. That was the only cohesive answer, since I can recall Anakin telling me that upon chasing the assassin, a man in a helmet briefly appeared ahead of them.

Mace Windu started running up to Jango, whose blaster hits were no match for a lightsaber. His technique has always been a bit aggressive, since Windu has the ability to tap into the dark side of the Force without being seduced by it. Most Jedi are forbidden from learning the Form VII variation of lightsaber fighting, but Master Windu was powerful enough to use the form to his advantage.

With that in mind, he ran quickly across the sand of the arena, holding up his weapon. Master Windu reached the bounty hunter within a matter of seconds as chaos ensued. I watched in shock as Fett was decapitated with that recognizable purple blade. His body went limp.

Many Jedi were falling from the arena and dropping dead down below, so I fought to ensure me and Anakin wouldn't meet their fate. It was tragic, really, that so many of those Jedi were dying all at the same time, without enough time to be properly commemorated.

The cart was knocked over and the three of us fell to the ground. The senator took refuge inside the toppled cart while Anakin and I deflected any blaster fire.

"You call this a diplomatic solution?" Anakin asks Padmé.

"No. I call this aggressive negotiations," she responds in amusement.

"You two, we have a battle to fight!" I snap at them. There was a time for this kind of witty banter; and now was not it.

"Sorry, m'lady," Anakin apologizes quickly.

There were ten, maybe even a hundred times more droids than Jedi in the arena, but we were far from outnumbered. Even with lost fighters, there were enough of us to fight them all off. No matter what it takes.

I saw the same insect from before approaching Obi-Wan as I protected myself. He cut off two of its legs, its head, and stabbed it once more for good measure.