chapter 58

Pure joy can be found.

"You know, Alderaan has always been known as 'the planet of beauty,'" I tell Anakin. "Now you can see why."

The planet from afar is spectacular: blanketed by vast bright blue oceans and streaks of green land, all sporadically obscured by thick veiny clouds. As we enter the atmosphere, into an expansive river valley, I am entranced by this reality. We're going to stay here for at least a few days, unencumbered by battles or orders. That's a dream come true. 

"It's no Tatooine, that's for sure," Anakin remarks. He focuses on piloting the ship, flying us down toward the surface.

"I hope you won't have us sleeping on the ship." 

"As I said"—my husband sighs—"I have something planned."

I smile at him and keep my gaze on the viewport. We continue our descent, slow and steady, nearing the capital city.

I admire all the sights around me. Snow-capped mountains, elegant buildings, curving landscapes, and of course, Anakin himself. He seems just as glad as me to be here, but mostly because he knows how happy I am, how happy this experience makes me.

"Have you ever been here?" I ask him.

"Not that I can recall," Anakin says, preparing the landing gear as we approach Aldera.

"Do you have a landing permit?" I wonder. Since we're already sneaking away on a vacation, it should at least be legal.

"Do I need one?" he snickers.

"Um, yes!" I scold. "Anakin, you're going to get us arrested if you don't have the proper documentation—"

"I have a landing permit," my husband assures, "calm down. I was just kidding."

"You know I don't like it when you joke around like that." I cross my arms tensely.

"Shut up, you love it."

Although I endorse following proper protocol, I don't mind those jokes sometimes, even when our privacy is on the line. Truth be told, Anakin is right again. 

I groan in annoyance and turn my head back toward the viewport again.

Both of us stay silent until we arrive safely, storing the shuttle in a public parking lot. I'm very grateful that I wasn't subjected to one of my husband's usual unfavourable landings; this one was quite peaceful, if not for the tension filling the shuttle cockpit. 

"If you're going to be mad, could you at least talk to me?" Anakin asks, caressing my shoulder. "I thought we had agreed on that."

I let out a huff of defeat. "I'm not mad," I confess. "I swear, Skywalker, every day you get worse at reading my emotions."

"So, if you aren't mad," Anakin begins, standing and holding his hand out. "We should get going."

I take his hand and pull myself up. "You're not going to make me do anything crazy, will you?" 

"Nothing I wouldn't do," he guarantees.

"That's not reassuring." My husband stares down at me with an unimpressed look, to which I sigh. "Yeah, I know that was a joke. Go ahead."

Anakin locks his hand with mine and nods, a smile tugging at his lips. 

***

We walk across the lobby of a luxurious-looking hotel. Gold details line the walls, and soft, wind-like designs paint the windows. Columns and busts, sofas and armchairs line the lobby. I stare at everything in newfound awe.