chapter 40

Accepting a sinister truth is much harder than believing an unfathomable lie.

My ship exits hyperspace after a few hours, leaving me to navigate it down to the planet's surface. Honestly, I can never tell how long things drag on for in light-speed, but I can usually approximate based off Coruscant's time.

"Passenger shuttle, identify yourself," I hear on my comms channel as I slip down through Alderaan's hills. This is just standard procedure, and since I'm on a Republic military shuttle—not Jedi-affiliated—the authorities don't know who I am.

"This is General y/l/n aboard Republic shuttle Three-Six-Eight-Two," I say, reading aloud the shuttle's call number. It's written clearly on one of the dashboard's display screens. "Requesting a landing pad."

Silence fills my ship for a moment as the ground security checks my request. It usually doesn't take long, unless all the spots are occupied. Still, I'm a bit jittery from it all.

"General, we have cleared landing pad twelve," says the voice on the comms channel. I now recognize it as the voice of a clone trooper; one stationed in the capital of Aldera.

"Thank you," I reply. "I will be there shortly." I end the transmission and make my way to landing pad 12, my ship looming over the capital city.

I try to slow my breath while a tractor beam from the surface pulls me into my designated spot. They do this to ensure nothing goes haywire, and I completely understand the need for such measures; maybe Anakin would need a tractor beam for his landings.

Other than that, I'm really nervous. I haven't seen my sister in...oh, what is it, three years? I last saw her when I left Alderaan, almost two years before the war broke out. So the war has lasted more than a year, much more, actually.

Wait, no. It's barely been a year, now that I'm thinking about it. Since the Battle of Geonosis, it's been maybe a year and a few days, say another week, since our time on Mortis has screwed with the laws of time. They should mark these days, honestly.

Kriff! It's today...and I'm not even on Coruscant!

All right, I have other things to think about right now. My sister is at home, in this city. The walk will take about half an hour to get into town, but I don't mind. I need a walk; I'm very anxious.

I lower the ramp and leave my shuttle, bowing to the ground troops as I start to make my way through the city of Aldera. The air is breezy today, and it blows my hair up off my shoulder. It's nice.

I continue for a few minutes, earning a few smiles and waves from the locals. They know who I am, I'm aware of that. I've spent a good month protecting the Queen in my late teen years, and many Alderaanians have been made aware of my efforts through the Holonet.

It's funny, I still remember why I was brought out to that mission in the first place. I'd taken the Trials shortly before leaving, but the Council said I had to take my Great Trial before being knighted. I was also eighteen at the time, so I understand their reservation.

They said there was an emergency on Alderaan, and sent my master and I to help. She told me I had my own assignment, and then left for Coruscant. That was the last time Master Gallia left as my Jedi master, since I was knighted upon my resturn.

The Council told me why the mission to Alderaan was actually my Great Trial. They said it was to overcome attachments—they let me meet my sister—like any Jedi would, and I did well. Well, I hope they're still in the shadows about the rest of my attachments.

I've always been good at leaving things behind, until I met Anakin. I left my childhood friends like Eyn—I hope I can see him again, he's still a Jedi, and I've heard things about him—with no difficulty at all. I left my sister with as much ease, and I did the same with my master.