chapter 64

Reunions are overrated.

Three months have passed since the unfortunate loss of Fives, and I haven't been the same since then. Anakin and I have been off-world almost constantly since then, having to ignore the troublesome death. I've learned to adjust.

Recently, Master Plo Koon has made a discovery, or so Obi-Wan says. He found the lost ship of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas—the supposed commissioner of the Republic's clone army. The reason he has prefaced this is that Anakin and I have been called to join a briefing in the war room on the matter. Obi-Wan knows I hate to be ill-informed.

"Our records definitively state that Master Sifo-Dyas died on Felucia," Madame Jocasta says. She switches the hologram of our galaxy to concentrate on Felucia and its neighbouring planets. "In the fifth quarter, a small skirmish broke out between the native Felucians. Master Sifo-Dyas was assigned to negotiate peace talks between the tribes. The negotiations failed, and Sifo-Dyas was killed."

The holotable now shows a projection of Sifo-Dyas' file, his lightsaber, his ship, and his full-figure hologram. I am not all that familiar with Master Sifo-Dyas, despite my many years spent within the Jedi Order.

"What became of his body?" asks Master Plo's hologram.

"I'm afraid I cannot answer that," Madame Jocasta says. Sifo-Dyas' file glows red, and most of the text on it is erased. "Any further information on this incident has been sealed."

"On whose authority?" Master Windu asks.

"By the office of the Supreme Chancellor."

The Galactic Republic's emblem appears on the file.

"Thank you, Madame Jocasta," Master Windu says. They bow to each other, and Jocasta exits the room.

"To Felucia, Kenobi and Skywalker will go," Master Yoda says. "A trail long cold it is, yet still hidden there a clue might be. Question all who were present the day of Sifo-Dyas' death, you must."

I look at the ground in a moment of frustration. It isn't uncommon for Anakin to be sent away—often with Obi-Wan—on a faraway mission, but I always miss him when he does. Unfortunately, this isn't our decision to make.

At least Caleb is here to keep me occupied. I train him diligently when we get time on Coruscant and he learns rather quickly. Besides, this shouldn't be a lengthy ordeal. They'll fly out to Felucia, find the source of this mystery, and come back with answers. Or maybe they'll come back with nothing at all, but what matters to me is that they will be back.

I meet Anakin's gaze, knowing it's been resting on me for the past few gruelling seconds.

It's just one mission, he says through our dyad. I'll be back before you know it.

I take a deep breath and sigh, detaching my eyes from his. I'm sure this already looks questionable to the Council, therefore I don't allow myself another second of staring.

"And what of the sealed file?" Master Windu asks.

I come back to my surroundings: the war room, the Temple, and the tense situation.

"Speak with the Chancellor I will, to see what part in this the politics of the Senate have played."

The meeting is adjourned, and we all leave the war room, headed in different directions. Anakin and Obi-Wan pace toward the hangar. I'm going to the training centre.

***

"No, Caleb. Your skill is not determined by the colour of your robes. Or the weight of your lightsaber."