chapter 25

Ghosts of the past will always haunt us.

I'm getting pretty tired with all the running we've been doing today. While rushing through one of the halls, a thought suddenly hits me.

"What if we can't get a ship to our position?" I ask Anakin and Ahsoka, raising my voice as loud as I can.

"Then we'll have to find one," Anakin replies.

Not very reassuring, honestly. If Ventress is here, that means there's a good chance our forces are too caught up to help us, and there's no guarantee a ship will be available to take. Much less one with a hyperdrive and enough fuel to get to Tatooine.

We finally make it to the entrance of the backdoor landing platform.

"Skywalker to Obi-Wan," Anakin calls to his comlink. "Mark my position. I need a medical ship immediately. Do you copy?"

"Anakin—" He tries fiddling with the device to make up for the spotty transmission, but it's no use.

"I can't get ahold of Obi-Wan," he announces.

"I'll try and contact Rex," I add. "Hopefully they're not in too much trouble." I walk a bit further away to drown out any distractions and get better reception. "Rex. Captain Rex, do you copy?" I say into my comlink. "I repeat, do you copy?"

No response. Captain Rex usually answers any calls quite quickly, so not even acknowledging them is unusual to say the least. We've already been warned, so I'm not surprised that they're in trouble again.

"Do you copy? Captain Rex, if you read me, please respond."

"I read you, General," Rex finally replies. "We're pinned down in the courtyard."

"Do you need help?" I ask. I don't hear anything on the other end except blaster shots, meaning they must be in some amount of trouble. "Help will be with you soon. Stand by, we'll be right there."

I head back over to Anakin, and Ahsoka, who seems to notice the Huttlet's health getting critical. As expected, they're disagreeing on something, I'm not sure what. I wave at them, trying to cut out whatever arguement the two were having.

"Anything?" Anakin asks.

"Rex is in trouble. I'm afraid it'll be hard for him to find us a ship."

Destroyers roll out behind us and start shooting, trying to stall or lead us away.

"Great, rolling death balls," Ahsoka says.

We ignite our lightsabers and deflect any shots coming towards us back at the walls. There's no way we can take out destroyers with those shields, so avoiding their attack is all we can do. Those things are frustrating for those shields, it makes it that much harder to just have a regular battle sometimes.

"Artoo, the door!" Anakin yells. The droid plugs in and seals it quickly as we see Ventress emerge. Her lightsabers plunge through the metal, starting to cut through. "I think now's a good time for a retreat."

"'Retreat'? That's a new word for you," Ahsoka remarks.

"Maybe into the jungle."

We run to the edge of the platform at his suggestion.

"Wait," Ahsoka hesitates, "I remember the jungle was a bad place."

Droids start to climb up the rock face, shooting up at us. It's ironic, we were climbing up there just a few hours ago, but we're still being shot at

I turn to Anakin, avoiding their fire. "Yeah, it was a bad place," I scold.

The droids shoot at the platform, hitting something under us. Giant flying creatures appear from below, hurrying away frantically.