chapter 92

Fate's strings are naught pulled by void. 

My life is comprised of dreams and nightmares these days. Yesterday was a dream. Last night was a nightmare; unfortunately, it wasn't the first. Nightmares have been few and far between for years now, but they've become constant. 

Every day he thinks about it, Anakin spends another night dreaming about losing me. Each instance differs slightly; last night, I was dying in childbirth. He said this dream was more vivid than the others. 

I'm glad I briefed the Council yesterday because I can't stand to think about my close calls with death anymore. I will make sure we take it slow this morning. After all, we only have a morning briefing today, and attendance isn't mandatory. I plan to get there at least before it finishes, but I won't be upset if I can't make it. 

"Hey." 

I open my eyes, turn my head, and he pulls back to let me. 

"Hey," I reply. "Did you sleep?" 

I lay eyes on Anakin for the first time since last night and assess his condition. He looks tired, but not distraught. 

"A little," he says, softly brushing back my hair. "I'm sorry for waking you up last night. I didn't mean to." 

I lay a hand on his cheek and sigh, biting my lip. "When are we going to stop feeling guilty for needing each other's help?" 

"It's not that, y/n. You need to sleep—" 

"So do you." I take a deep breath, cupping his jaw. "Would you have slept at all if I wasn't there to help you?" 

Anakin looks down, rubbing the ends of my hair. I come closer and creep one arm under him. I stroke the back of his neck with the other and kiss his forehead. "Let me help you, Ani," I whisper against his smooth skin. "I can afford to lose some sleep if it means you'll rest easy. A little sacrifice is worthwhile sometimes. That's love."

***

By the time we arrive in the war room, the holo above the central console is powering down, Jedi Masters and Knights passing us as we head down the stairs. 

"You've missed the report on the Outer Rim Sieges," Obi-Wan announces. 

"I apologize for the late arrival," I say, not daring to glance at Anakin. First, I do not want him to feel guilty for making us late, and second, Obi-Wan already knows enough about us. He does not want to know what we do on our own time. 

"In short, they are going very well," Obi-Wan says as he turns to us and tucks in his cloak. "Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity." He folds his arms on top of one another and looks down. The dim light paints long shadows over his face. 

After a moment, Anakin asks, "What's wrong, then?" 

Obi-Wan raises his brows and turns to his side. He regretfully meets Anakin's eyes. "The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today." 

"Well, that can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad?" 

I feel concerned as I glance up at Anakin. He looks dead serious. "It'll make it easier for us to end this war." 

Obi-Wan glances at me. We share the same suspicion about the Chancellor. Moreover, we both know that Anakin would benefit from knowing what we do. However, we do not know how to tell him. Anakin is stubborn. He always has been. If his loyalty to the Chancellor is genuine, he would rather accuse us of treason for insinuating that his long-time friend is a Sith Lord than believe us. I might be able to get through to him, but that is not a guarantee. After all, he is still convinced that I will die soon.