chapter 38

Peace slowly creeps away when reality sets in.

Anakin was exhausted when we left the monastery, so he stayed in the back of the shuttle to rest. It must've been from the restless night we spent on Mortis, or maybe from the Father's test. Honestly, it felt less like a test than it did physiological torture, so I don't blame him for being exhausted.

Obi-Wan assured me he could pilot the ship alone, yet I still decided to help out. I need a distaction from all that happened, and piloting might be it. Even if I know I'm not the best out there, I can always improve my skills as a pilot, and I happen to know Master Kenobi despises the activity.

I was told that I had a role in the Chosen One prophecy, a role which I had no clue of before this. Now, I'm slowly coming to terms with it, even if the truth is confusing and painful.

Confusing, because it's unclear to me how I fit into the prophecy. Anakin's told me enough, that he never had a father, and that he'd exhibited enough shows of Force-sensitivity from a young age to be recognized. I, on the other hand, have no idea how I match that.

I never knew my parents, and I've learned that they're long dead. The Jedi found me when I was a few months old—six or seven months, I think. Around the time I started walking on two feet. That being said, I have no memory of my childhood before the Temple.

Painful is the truth, from the lies I've been told to hide it. There are so many people that could've known, so many people that lied to me, but I feel no anger towards anyone. I'm in control of my emotions, as I have been since childhood. This is the kind of pain only I can deal with.

Despite the amount of people, Jedi, more specifically—that could've been lying to me my whole life, I only have the interest of speaking to one person: Shri'a. My sister is the only family I have, since she's the one who told me about my parent's passing.

Though she looks older than me, our features match perfectly, emulating the proof that I am truly related to her. Shri'a is the only person who would know about my family, but I have not seen her since I left Alderaan, over two years ago. Or was it three? It's been a long time.

Due to the strain of this war and my involvement in it, I've surely aged faster than I should, making me look even more like her.

Nevertheless, the next place I have to go is Alderaan. I need answers about my past, and I can't risk sending out a long-range transmission out of my own discretion. This is a matter for me to take care of; face to face.

While I'm considering announcing this to my crewmates—Obi-Wan for now, since he's the only person in the cockpit—a feeling of dread runs over me: unexplained, powerful, painful dread.

I rush to the back of the shuttle and let Obi-Wan take over the controls. My gaze falls on Ahsoka first, who's checking something on the far wall of the ship. So, only I've sensed it.

I see Anakin lying on the bed with his eyes closed, his body contorting with every breath. He seems to be sleeping, but definitely not in a peaceful way. I walk closer, careful not to alert Ahsoka, and stand beside him. I won't try to wake him, in the instance that he might see me as some sort of threat.

The apparent distress worsens for a few seconds before he gasps and jolts awake, sitting up on the small bed. Anakin looks at me while panting stressfully, and I take his hand in mine. He must've seen something truly disturbing to have a reaction like this, like whatever happened on Mortis.

I can't think of anything to say before Ahsoka walks up to us, and I drop my husband's hand. I only hope she didn't see me holding it in the first place.