chapter 36

Home is always in our hearts.

"The clone planet of Kamino will be a dangerous target." The voice of the cloaked figure before us proves that the Separatists are behind an invasion. It's Asajj Ventress. We've intercepted a transmission between her and General Grievous, and you can figure out the rest.

The hologram flickers to the droid general. "Just make sure you hold up your half of the mission," he growls. "We must stop the production of new clones if we are to win this war." And we must stop them from doing so.

Once the image fizzles out, I take a moment to think about their assault. It's monstrous, that they'd attack Kamino. Most adult clones are already out on the battlefield, so essentially, they're going after the children. They're going after those who can't defend themselves.

"Kamino," Anakin says. He glances at me and drops his hands to his sides, offering a troubled look. I nod subtly, telling him I feel just as pained by the news.

"They're going to attack our home planet," Rex says. He's appalled that the enemy would go after Kamino. That's the closest thing the clones have to a proper home, just like the Jedi feel about Coruscant. I'd feel like that too, if someone went after Coruscant.

"The Separatists are taking quite the chance even considering this," Master Kenobi states. It's unfortunate that they only see taking Kamino as a tactical advantage. Even so, they don't know we're aware of the attack. We'll be waiting patiently for them on Kamino.

"With all due respect, General, if someone comes to our home, they better be carrying a big blaster," Rex says gruffly. Pride is something anyone would feel for their home, and that's what he's expressing right now.

"I concur with Captain Rex, sir," Commander Cody says. The two have formed quite a strong bond throughout the war, a brotherly bond, like one most clones feel for one another. They're all brothers, even if they don't know each other well. "This is personal for us clones."

"We'll do everything to keep Kamino safe," I say. "I will promise that." Promises aren't something Jedi should offer very often, but in this case, I need our men to know that their home isn't in danger. I need them to know that they matter, and Kamino matters.

"Rex, tell your troopers in the Five-Oh-First... they're going home," Anakin says.

"Yes, sir." Rex and Cody both straighten, and walk away from the bridge. I just hope they won't have to sit through too many atrocities on Kamino.

***

Our cruiser arrives in Tipoca City, on Kamino, and settles next to the main buildings. Kamino isn't a place I'm that familiar with, since it wasn't even discovered until the start of the war by Obi-Wan. And during his expedition there, I had... other priorities.

The climate is the first thing I notice about Kamino. It's raining vigorously out there, and that seems to be a constant. I've done a bit of research in the archives about this planet since Master Kenobi's report, to know what I could expect, if the war ever brought me here. Well, it has.

This assignment isn't like many others I've faced in the past. The Separatists have never dared to attack Kamino, and I've never had to defend a place so close to my men—my friends. Defending Naboo from the blue shadow virus with Padmé was one thing, but it's her duty to serve that planet.

It's the clones' duty to serve the Republic as a whole, not just Kamino. Since the attack on the Rishi station, the possibility of this attack even happening has grown tremendously. The Separatists are always looking to attack the weakest of us, it seems.

We walk out of the cruiser on the wet and depressing planet with Rex and Commander Cody, met by Master Shaak Ti and a Kaminoan: Lama Su. I've never met him before, but I've read things from Obi-Wan's report. He's the Prime Minister here on Kamino, and in charge of many cloning operations.