chapter 23

New faces take adjustment.

The Separatists continued their attack on Christophsis. They had absolutely no intention of pulling back, but at least we were there to help this time. And this time, we had the rest of our forces with us.

"They're back!" Anakin announces.

Obi-Wan and I run up to meet him. Explosions rumble around us, destroying Christophsis' landscape and ringing in our ears.

"I told you this victory was too easy," Obi-Wan remarks. "We never should've sent the ship back for supplies."

"It wasn't my idea to send the ship back."

"Will you two stop arguing?" I interrupt. "Now isn't the time."

Anakin sighs and rolls his eyes.

"All right, men," Obi-Wan turns to his troops. "Second wave incoming."

"Rex, you'll follow us," I tell Captain Rex, who had just caught up to us.

Anakin and I run off, closely followed by our captain and his troops.

***

"What's our plan of attack, sir?" Captain Rex asks.

I look down at the raging battle, considering the plan we had already drawn up with Master Kenobi. It seems like a reckless choice, but again, I'm making more and more moves like that.

Anakin and I glance at each other and nod, sure that we're ready to go. It's funny how in-tune we are, always knowing what to do without saying a word.

"Follow us."

We jump off the building, landing on a spider-like attack droid. Soon enough, our men jump off to help on the ground with the help of their jetpacks.

"I'm gonna take the next one." I point out towards another droid, giving Anakin a bit of insight.

"Do you always have to be this reckless?" he remarks while deflecting a blaster shot with his lightsaber.

"Only when I'm with you."

I jump off towards the other droid, using the Force to assure a safe landing. I get back on my feet as soon as I hit my destination, looking out for any blaster fire.

It seems as though the two droids are taking notice of our presence, since they start throwing shots at each other. A third droid is closer to Anakin, so he leaps to it as the other one explodes.

Now there are only two. Through great coordination, we get the droids to shoot at each other's cannons, rendering them useless. Before they can be decimated comepletely, my husband and I jump down.

Landing on one of the droid's legs, I cut it off with nothing but my lightsaber. As the droid starts to topple, I strike it down one last time in its core power grid before leaping off.

I reach the ground quickly and crouch, absorbing the fall. Turning my head to the left, I see Anakin landing on the ground safely a few meters beside me.

He offers me a subtle nod and we look back at the battle. Running forwards, it only takes a few seconds to reach Obi-Wan's position.

"We're gonna need reinforcements," Anakin states.

"We haven't been able to get through to the Admiral," Obi-Wan adds.

"Maybe we'd reach the cruiser if we weren't always in the middle of a battle," I remark, deflecting an incoming shot.

The two of them glare at me, frustrated by my choice of words. After all; it wasn't our choice to be forced into battle, this time.

"Forget I said anything." I raise my hands innocently, still gripping my lightsaber.