chapter 45

Even the best warriors can lose a fight.

I slowly wake up, bright and early as usual.

Over the past four months or so, the toll of the Clone War has been minor in my mind. It still burdens me, but now I am much more focused on another matter: preparing to train my own apprentice.

I have been watching over Ahsoka much more closely—out of precaution and observation. I want to see the potential of having a padawan. With every battle we've fought alongside her, my choice remains fully cemented. I am ready to teach a young soul about the ways of the Force.

Turning just a bit to my right, I bring my attention over to Anakin, who's still sleeping. As expected. He almost always wakes up after me, and sometimes because of me.

Letting out a soft sigh, I inch closer and drape my arm around him, intertwining my leg with his. I nestle my head into his shoulder, catching a glimpse of Anakin's face at the same time. I try to be gentle, but his eyes open within about a minute.

My husband grabs ahold of my hand and rubs his thumb across it, then presses a light kiss to my knuckles. His little actions never fail to make my heart melt.

"I meant to wake you," I say softly, trying to mask the morning gruffness of my voice.

"Well, good morning to you too, my love," Anakin replies. He slowly turns to lay on his back, allowing me to stay pretty still. "Got anything we have to do today?"

"No, but I'm headed out," I reveal.

"What?" His face falls to a disappointed frown as he sits up suddenly. "Why? Where are you going? Should I come?"

I don't like to leave Anakin on his own, or leave him at all, but I know this is a matter I have to take on alone. It isn't about the war effort, or our shared forces, but my own advancement in the ways of the Force and the tradition of the Jedi Order.

"There's something I've wanted to do for a while now, but I'm going today," I say. "I'll be back within the hour, I promise."

As much as I'd like to give him more details, tell him what I'm doing, I want to keep the element of surprise if this goes through. I don't even know the proper procedure for this, but I hope what I'm about to do will amount to something. Maybe I should've asked Obi-Wan how to apply for a padawan properly.

"Don't be too long," Anakin says, leaning to the side to stroke my cheek. "You know how I can miss my lovely wife."

I sit up and lean forward to place a chaste kiss on his lips, almost immediately pulling away. An unconscious smile grows on my face before I head over and leave our bed, eager to get going. Even if they're temporary, our goodbyes always leave me longing.

I leave the bedroom and walk into my bathroom, set out my robes, and put them on within about two minutes. My next steps lead me to the front door, and I open it, leaving my quarters hastily.

Managing to naviguate through the Temple with my years of passing from hall to hall, I head to one of the four spires: The High Council. I'm still unsure whether or not this is the right place to go, but I'd say it's my best bet. After all, it was Master Yoda who first introduced the idea of me having a padawan. I hope I can take it up with him.

The Council doors slide open as I enter into the nearly empty room. One figure stands near the edge of one of the window panels, watching morning unfold over Coruscant.

"Young y/l/n," Master Windu greets me, turning to face the doors. "What have you come to the Council for so early?"

It is early. The sun has not completely risen, though it forms a blanket over this side of the capital planet. It shines through the clouds in an orange hue, further explaining why Master Windu is the only master here.