always you - Max Verstappen.

You and Max are friends for a long time. You've been by his side from the beginning of his racing career. You are one of a few people that Max cares about deeply. Always supportive and understanding no matter what. It isn't a big surprise that it sometimes complicates your life, but throughout the years, you became used to it. You couldn't complain after all, because you have a job in Red Bull thanks to him. Being his press officer isn't always easy, but there are upsides to it as well. You are travelling around the world with your best friend. It's like a dream come true.

A few weeks ago, you heard him arguing with his girlfriend Dilara. She was young, glamorous, determined, and your friend. It wasn't automatic that the press officer always got along with girlfriends of drivers. Quite the opposite, actually. So, you were glad that you even became friends. Also, it was a logical move since you live a few minutes from Max's place and you spend quite a lot of time together.

You didn't exactly catch the beginning of their quarrel, but you were sure it was about some girl since you heard Dilara yelling at Max. "You always run to her. Something is wrong and she's the first person to know. She's the first person to reassure you, to open her arms for you, and you like it. I think we both know that you love her, don't we?" Quarrels weren't something odd in their relationship, but this was something else. Dilara's words made you confused. You were sure that Max wasn't meeting any other girl at that time.

You recently found out that Dilara and Max weren't a thing anymore. To be honest, it didn't surprise you that much after you heard that quarrel. But you did what you usually do. Opened your arms for him and let him stayed a couple of nights in your apartment until Dilara moved out from his. You tried to ask Max a couple of times about the reason behind their break-up, but he every time bluntly brushed the topic off.

As much as you cared for Max, you also cared for Dilara. After all, she's still your friend, so you decided to invite her to breakfast before she'd leave Monaco. When you left, Max was still peacefully sleeping in your bed where he fell asleep yesterday while watching films with you. You didn't mind it since you used to sleep together in each other's bed since you were kids. You'd swear that you actually spent more nights with Max than with any of your exes.

"So, are you leaving for good?" You asked her when sat down at one of the tables. You took her to one of your favourite cafés in Monaco. The stunning view on the harbour charmed many people, therefore it was often crammed, but to your surprise, not today.

"Well, Max was the only thing that held me in Monaco. Yeah, I know I also have friends here, but a majority of them are Max's friends, so I wanna give it some time." She explained to you. It was a smart move from her. You didn't know the reason for their breakup, but you were sure they could eventually become friends. They both just needed time to heal.

"Alright, I get it. I just want you to know that my door is always open for you." Your door has been opened for your friends no matter what. Dilara crashed at your place several times as well. Mainly because of Max's moods. You understood why she ran away because his moods were sometimes unbearable. So you every time had a girls night, leaving Max from the conversation. In the morning, she thanked you for letting her stay and headed to their apartment. There were even times when you thought he was moody on purpose because he didn't want Dilara around, but you dropped this idea because why would he do such a thing when he loved her.

"Thank you, but... I actually think it'd be better if we didn't see each other for a bit." She suggested. It was something that didn't even cross your mind, but when you thought about it, one reason for such an act popped up in your mind.

"No, no, no. I'm fully aware that I'm close to Max, but I'm also close to you. I'm sure he's gonna understand that we're still friends. I will keep in my mind that you two don't wanna meet each other for a while." You acknowledged. It was clear that you'd spend more time with Max than with her because of your work, but outside of that, you'd be willing to flight to visit her in Germany.

"I don't think you get it." She sighed sadly.

"What do you mean?" You asked because you had no idea what she was trying to tell you.

"Haven't you ever noticed, Y/N? He's in love with you. I think he has been for years." You had a hard time hearing her because she was whispering those words. The sadness seeped through her voice. On the one hand, it broke your heart, but on the other, you wanted to laugh a little because what she was saying was complete nonsense.

"I know that a lot of people used to think that before he started dating you, but I reassure you that isn't true." You tried to calm her down. If that was the reason for their breakup, it's more than stupid.

She laughed bluntly. "Y/N... everybody knows it. You're the reason why he has a smile on his face in the paddock. When is something wrong, he goes to you. You're his first hug after winning a race and even at the ceremony... Didn't you notice that he's looking for you in the crowd? I'd even bet that you're his first and last thought of the day... and I think you have always been. To be honest, I'm jealous of you. You're so lucky woman." When you thought about it, you knew there were some moments, but you always thought, it was because of how close you two were. You would never tell that Max would feel something for you. Yes, there was once a time when you were thinking about how would it be to dating him, but it was a long time ago.

You were in such a shock that you insisted that you need to go home. Dilara understood that and even paid for your breakfast. Just one quick hug was your way to saying goodbye to her. Under normal circumstances, you'd probably give her a lift to Nice airport, but not after finding out something like this.

You were grateful when you saw Max's shoes, which meant he was still there. You rushed through your apartment, not knowing where you should look for him. Eventually, you found him sitting at the bar counter in your kitchen with a phone in his hands.

"I was out with Dilara, and is it true? Is it true that you love me?" You meant to ask him confidently, but right now, your eyes were fixed on the floor. Max almost dropped his phone when he heard that question.

"Well... I guess there's no point in denying it anymore." He got up from the chair and walked towards you, grabbing your hands into his. That was the first moment when you looked into his eyes.

"Why didn't you say something earlier?" This question probably bothered your mind the most. Was he pretending the whole time with Dilara? If so, it must have hurt both her and him.

"Well, in the beginning, I was afraid to admit it because I didn't want to lose you. When I finally got the courage to come clean, you started dating Chris, and I just couldn't ruin it for you. Then I began to date Dilara, and I thought I would learn how to love her eventually, but I never did." This confession broke your heart. You were so sorry for Dilara. She was probably miserable in that relationship.

"Oh, Max... Come here," You opened your arms and held him in a hug. "You know, I once thought about how would it be to dating you. At that time, I was confused by it because I've always seen you just like my friend, but now... I'm willing to ruin this friendship and try it."

♥︎daily reminder♥︎