Episode 17: The Nameless Past

EPISODE 17: THE NAMELESS PAST

After waving Darak and Aurora goodbye, Reis went to his bedroom only to find Shin lying awake in his bed.

"I'm sorry about today" Reis apologized.

"No Reis, I'm sorry. Erasa got angry because of me. I tried to compliment her and I ended up getting too emotional" Shin apologized.

"I don't think you did anything wrong by trying to compliment her" Reis said thoughtfully.

"Anyway, I did promise to tell you about my past. How I first met Erasa? I'll tell you now if you're willing to listen" Shin said.

"Of course I want to listen" Reis said.

"It's a long story" Shin said as he began to recall his past.

"My real parents were killed when an evil warlord known as Lord Galigaos raided my village. My parents hid me so I survived. I was raised by a kind old woman who also died when I was seven years old. All that time...I had no name, I had no identity. From then on, I had to live on the streets, feeding on scraps of food and rubbish like a scavenger. Many times I had to steal and fight for food and many times, I was left half dead" Shin narrated.

"How horrible" Reis sympathized.

"Heh! It was actually on one of those days that my true story began...

TEN YEARS AGO...

A young boy, seven years of age lay wounded on the streets. He had just attempted to steal some food from one of the market stalls. Unluckily, he was caught and brutalized by the people. He lay on the streets bleeding profusely and just barely conscious. He was hungry and weak and the worst part of it all was that he felt lonely and abandoned. The people acted indifferently towards him and none of them tried to help him. Without even realizing it, he soon lost consciousness.

A whole day passed without anyone showing compassion towards the boy and he remained on the streets, his only clothes were rags and he was left at the mercy of the weather.

Then on the midnight of the second day, a group of people entered the town. They consisted of a man and nine children. Five of the children were girls and four of them were boys. They saw the brutalized boy lying on the streets.

"Is he alive?" one girl asked.

The man checked the wounded boy's pulse.

"Yes One, this boy is still alive. But just barely. He's lost a lot of blood" the man said.

"Hey, do you think he can become one of us, leader Suiryu?" the girl called one asked.

"Well, we'll have to see about that after he recovers" Suiryu said as he carried the wounded boy.

"Okay, let's leave this village. The people here were cruel enough to hurt this poor boy" the girl called One said.

"I don't think so. These are just the kind of people that deserve a good robbing. We'll rob 'em blind before we leave as tribute to this boy" one of the boys said.

"You're right! Let's show them the power of the Maelstrom Nine!" One said and they spread out.

"I'll take care of this boy" Suiryu said as he carried the wounded boy out of the village.

Suiryu took the wounded boy to a cave and tended his wounds. Soon the Maelstrom Nine returned with a lot of loot.

"So how did the robbery go?" Suiryu asked.

"Thanks to Six's great sense of smell, we robbed anyone who had the scent of this boy's blood on them" One reported.

"Well, that's good" Suiryu said.