Bittersweet

I walked out of my car staring at the brick building. I began walking towards it opening up the glass door. Today I was doing chemotherapy this is definitely not the way I wanted to spend my Thursday afternoon.

"Hello, miss could I help you." I look beside me to see a blonde lady with thick black glasses. She was behind a counter so she was probably the receptionist. I explained that I have an appointment today. She escorted me towards a plain white room filled with black chairs and that had eight other people in it. She told me to sit down in a chair. Once I sat down one of the nurses stuck an iv in my wrist. I'm not a huge fan of needles so this wasn't the best thing in the world.

"Hello I'm Katherine but you could call me Kate!" I look over to the left of me to see a girl who looked the same age as me maybe a little older. She was wearing a blue beanie and had an iv in her arm like me but despite that, she had the biggest smile on her face.

"Hello, Kate it's nice to meet you! I'm Paige" I said back with a grin.

"I'm assuming this is your first time here I haven't seen you yet."

"Yup it is"

"What do you have?" Kate asked

"Leukemia. You?"

"I have breast cancer." She looked at me with a slight smile. I look at her with a frown.

"I already gotten used to the idea of it I don't care anymore I just wanna have fun and live my life."
We both kept on talking about anything and everything. I could tell she was a kind person and I could also tell she didn't deserve to be here. Like she said she should be living her life.

"So how do you do it?" I asked

"Do what?"

"Be happy even though you're in pain."

"Well I just find the good in a bad situation like today I met you and I could already tell we're gonna be best friends." 'Why can't I be like her. I always see the negative.' I thought. After my chemo was done the nurse took out the iv and I was free to go. Me and Kate exchanged numbers and I left and drove home.

I took the day off today and my mom was at work so I didn't have anything else to do. I sat on my couch putting on some random show. I felt exhausted my eyelids became heavy.

*Timeskip the next day*

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I had a blanket covering me so my mom must have come home and put it on me. I then looked at my phone noticing the time was 3:30 pm. I slept through yesterday and today thank god I also took today off. The person who called me was an unknown number. I answered it curious to see who it was.

"Hey!" A familiar voice said I just couldn't think who it was.

"Hello?"

"This is Paige right."

"This is her and you are," I asked still half-asleep.

"Oh, right this is Wilbur."

"Oh hey! How do you get my number?" I looked down fiddling with my sleeves.

"Ava gave it to me. The reason I'm calling is that I was wondering why you weren't here today and yesterday. Ava keeps flirting with me and it's getting quite annoying." I laugh a little I could tell Ava had a thing for him. She was basically drooling whenever Wil talked to her.

"Me and my mom were furniture shopping yesterday and today I had to take care of some errands," I lied through my teeth but eventually I will tell him the real reason. Then I thought of an idea.