(17) Hate the humans

This story is not going the way I thought it would but I still love writing it so... whatever. I wanted more violence but it was hard to write...

Reminder: If you haven't read chapter 16 then do so before reading this or you'll be really confused.

---

"I, I'm not sure of what to say. No one told me that I had to do a speech on my grandma's funeral. I haven't been well for the past few days and I... I blame it all on her. 

"She wasn't supposed to go. She was supposed to be here with me, smiling whenever Katie and I made a joke." I saw Katie look up at the mention of her name but I diverted my eyes. 

I stared at the ground, ignoring all the stares I was getting. "She was supposed to be there for my graduation, when I introduce the love of my life, when we plan Katie's wedding, when I become a successful person and earn my own actual salary. She was- is, is, my rock. Will always be. She was the only grandparent I knew, and she lived up to it.

"She used to take us to the park everyday when we were little. She used to make us mouthwatering cookies and no matter how many she bakes, it'll only be there for the day." I let out a half-hearted laugh. I didn't want anyone to know about it, but at the same time, I wanted to let them know how wonderful she was when she was alive. "She was the only true Baker of the family." A few of them chuckled along and mum let out a few tears.

"I always asked dad why he close mum's last name instead of the other way around. He pointed out that he'd never met someone so strong and open hearted. He wanted to be a part of it." I looked down at my hands laying on the stand. They were shaking like crazy. "I..."

When I looked up again, my eyes intently recognized the tall frame, arms crossed in front, leaning against the church door, staring right at me. I couldn't read his face, but as soon as I saw them, my reality, apart from Grandma May came crashing down.

Tears I'd bottled up since last night came back and I was crying, in front of all those people. "I loved... her so much. I know, everyone who knew her... would miss her terribly." I sucked in a breath, trying to hold off the running nose. "I love you grandma May."

And then I stepped out, walking into dad's arms, crying like a baby. But honestly, I couldn't care less.

The ceremony ended after that. Mum decided to burn the body because she believed that it'd make the spirits freer, cleaner. So, we didn't end up standing in the middle of nowhere, bowing, arms tied, burning under the scorching sun. It didn't change anything to me though.

I was more worried about not having grandma May with me anymore.

"Hey," a voice said and I slowly turned around, meeting the last person I wanted to see at the moment. I'd almost forgotten about him after crying and here he was again, poker face and all.

I didn't respond, just stared. My thoughts were all over the place.

"Just wanted to come by and talk before we went home."

I was almost confused at his words until I saw someone standing next to him. A short lady, old enough to be older than grandma May. Her white skin was wrinkled and her pink lips were dry. Her eyes though, they were big and blue, just like Max.

I couldn't help myself from butting when he started to talk.

"This is Heather, my grandma. She wanted to come along and pay respect-"

"What the actual fuck Winters." They both flinched. "I don't need your fucking pity." My voice was low, so no-one else heard. I didn't want them to start giving me a lecture on how to talk to strangers. "Don't come around thinking I'll accept your pity and care. But seriously though Winters, what the actual fuck?