(43) Hate the slow steps to freedom

Hihi! HMH might finish in about a week. Make sure to tune in everyday!

P.S. 10K reads?! what. the. fudge nuts.

---

I take a deep breath, scrunching my eyes because it was so bright in the room. When I do lift my body to look around, I noticed that mum and dad were back from home again and they were talking to each other quietly at the sofa.

Katie, however, was sitting on the floor by the wall, scrolling through her phone.

And then suddenly, Derek came in with his hands filled with paper bags. He noticed me first, smiling when I was awake. Then his smile lingered as his eyes darted somewhere else.

Connecting the gaze, I ripped my hands from Max's that was hidden underneath when I'd been sleeping.

Derek pretended that he didn't see anything, or he actually didn't and he was actually looking at something else. Either way, he started moving and giving mum and dad each bag and then Katie and I one.

He plopped himself next to Katie and looked up. "Aren't you coming?"

I looked back at Max from the corner of my eye. The doctors did come back and say that the sedates wear off in about forty hours. There was still time.

I sluggishly walk over, plopping myself next to Derek after a bit of hesitation. He noticed and then Katie pouted.

"What, are you kidding me? Aren't I forgiven after everything?"

I rolled my eyes, peeking into the bag to see a sandwich cased and an apple with a box of milk at the side. "I still want my apology cupcakes."

Derek snickered at that and earned a hit from my sister.

I noticed the extra bag. "Who's that for?"

"Mason's coming later."

And so, we ate quietly.

Mum and dad talked us about who's going back home when. And when I told them that they could but I was going to stay, they all shared a bit of gaze before continuing to eat. And then mum popped up, saying that I did need to stay fresh when Max wakes up.

And since everything was okay, they planned to just go home and then come back when Helena calls that he's awake. I can't do that. I had to be there when he wakes up.

"Honey, you need to talk." I look up from my sandwich at mum. "You need to tell us why you're so persistent in staying here. Do you, maybe, feel like it's your fault?"

I stare at my sandwich, wishing that I did feel that way. Am I a bad person to not feel that way? Damn, I must be a bad example of a boyfriend.

"Alan." Now mum was serious. She had that look she makes whenever she's busy and she won't take answers for crap. "If you do stay quiet, thinking to yourself all by yourself, I'm sorry if I'm being unfair, I'm going to throw you out of the hospital."

I gulp.

I wondered if I should tell her.