(19) Hate the bubbles because of him

---

I was at school on time on Tuesday. Whatever happened last week felt like a dream and Katie didn't help because she was back to her old self, joking around with Tracy. Mason though, stuck to her side like she'd fall off if he stepped aside. I didn't complain. 

I'd come to assurance that those were going to go as deep as one pair could go until they realized that their not perfect for each other and they've met better people in college or work, or whatever.

I wasn't jealous.

Drake was relieved to see me and quickly went on the updates of classes and practice. I'd talked to coach, first thing in the morning, pleading to give me a chance before he sets someone else.

I was still captain.

Then I'd ignored Max Winters all together. He realized when I didn't return his smiles when we walked past in the hallways. Instead, I'd ignored him completely, pretending that he wasn't there all together.

Classes were hectic, and practice after school didn't help out. Then came maths and I was suddenly hit with another reality check when Bailey walked in, eyeing me as she sat herself down to my right.

The date. Right.

"H-hey-"

"You stood me up." 

I cringed.

"I know, and I'm so sorry." I waited as she continued to unpack her things. Why was she so calm? "I was busy. Things came up. I don't know how you feel but something actually came up. My grandma died. She, was like the only-"

"I know Alan."

That shut me up because I really didn't want to talk about it. Then, it got me thinking. She knew that I was at a funeral and yet, she's angry? Did she fucking expect me to take her out to dinner when my grandma was dying on her death bed?! The fuck?

"The date was two weeks ago Alan." She finally looked at me. Her eyes were, unreadable. They weren't sad but yet, they didn't seem okay. "A week before you took a week off school. We literally saw each other a week after you stood me up."

Now would be a great time to dig a hole and run away to someplace no one could find me. No Max Winters, no dead grandma and definitely no Bailey, the girl that waited for me at the cinemas, all alone in the evening.

"I didn't say anything about it because I thought you would. At first, I thought that you would've wanted to explain. We gave each other's numbers so I thought I'd at least get a text. When we saw each other on Monday, you talked to me like nothing had happened. Like we were just friends seeing each other at school after the weekend."

That was another slap in the face.

"I was going to talk about it with you before your games, just so you felt guilty wile playing but then you didn't come. Then word got out that your grandma died. I'm sorry about that." I nodded, not looking up at her. 

I was too embarrassed to look up. Sure, I've dated a good amount of girls since the start of high school, but never have I ever stood one up.

"I forgot. I know, I'm a shitty person... I'm honestly, I don't know what to say. It completely slipped off my mind. God, I didn't even do anything that Friday! I'm sorry, I want, I want to make it up to you." She opened her mouth and a few strands of her hair fell in front. I reached for it before her, tucking it behind. "How about this week? Wednesday? I'm free tomorrow night. I swear I won't make you regret it. I'll be there before you. Wait, I'll pick you up."

"No," was her simple answer.

"What?"

"No. I really appreciate you trying to make it up but I don't think it's going to work. It's not because I hate you for forgetting about me but it's more about me not really caring that much about a date."