One

The roof of the Boarding house had always been Ada's escape, even before the Salvatores moved back in. Everything was so much easier to process when she was up there, maybe it was the air or the height, but the world just seemed a little less dreadful from this certain spot. It was a warm summer's day, and Ada tried desperately to tune out Elena's 18th birthday party that raged on below her. It wasn't that Ada didn't like parties, she liked booze and drugs just as much as the next girl, but no one down there even liked her, so her best option was to continue to smoke her cigarette on the roof, and avoid her sister. She knew exactly what her sister would say if she saw her smoking again.

𝘚𝘮𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘈𝘥𝘢! 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘩𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘰

Truth be told, she tried. She was doing quite well too, but Stefan Salvatore was the person keeping her on the straight and narrow, and now that he's gone off with Klaus, she gave in.

Caroline always tried to assume the big sister role in Ada's life, even though they were the same age, well, technically now Ada was older than Caroline, but that didn't stop Caroline from bossing her around. Caroline and Ada were the exact opposite, Caroline was a kind, caring, control-freak vampire, whereas Ada was a cold, ruthless, laid-back siphon, but their differences didn't stop there, even their appearances were the opposite, Caroline with striking blue eyes and long blonde hair, and Ada with dark auburn hair and dark brown eyes. Ada always thought it was cliche, the good and bad twin, but in Ada's eyes, it was more like the poster child and the disappointment.

As a kid, Ada could never make friends of her own, honestly, even she couldn't blame the other kids, her personality was repulsive. She was judgmental, a smart-ass, unforgiving and just plain rude. She let her opinions be heard and would do anything to get her way, not caring who got hurt in the process, all in all, she was kind of a bitch. But even so, it still hurt her, that no one liked her, so she kept to herself, learned to enjoy her own company, and stay emotionally detached from everyone, and eventually, she was forgotten by everyone, even her parents.

The only person who didn't forget her was Caroline, so even as Ada tried to blend into the background, Caroline would try to drag her to social events and even make her hang out with Bonnie and Elena. Ada didn't fit into Caroline's friend group, that was until they realized that Ada was a siphon, then suddenly she was useful, and they welcomed her with open arms(well everyone except Damon, but that was expected)

Ada's siphoning ability was an unexplainable phenomenon, neither of her parents were from witch bloodlines, but somehow she was a very powerful siphon. She was still a freak of nature, unnatural and hated, but at least she felt like she had a place, even if she was just being used. At least that's what she told herself. Although being a siphon gave her power, the Bennett witch despised her, to her, Ada was unnatural and shouldn't exist, Ada being alive changed the laws of witchcraft. Ada didn't quite understand why Bonnie felt like continuing a century-old outdated tradition of true witches hating siphons, but that was Bonnie's problem.

Ada had been so lost in her thought that she didn't notice that some else had joined her on the roof.

"I thought you quit"

Ada quickly snaps out of her trance to see Alaric has joined her on the roof.

"Stefan was helping me out, but you know"

"I would tell you that smoking kills, but I think that's the point," Ric replies sadly

Out of the friend group, Ada was closest to Stefan and Ric. Stefan being the do-gooder that he is, always tried to keep Ada on the straight and narrow, try to help her get her life together, but it was an impossible task, especially since Ada had no want to fix the mess that was her life. Ric was kind of the Dad of the group, but he took extra pity on Ada. She had been ignored by her parents and was struggling with demons that no one else seemed to care about, so whenever he could, he would check up on Ada, and train her just like he did with Elena. Although both men originally became friends with Ada out of pity, both grew to love the young girl's true personality, although still snarky, she was quite funny, loyal, and even compassionate at times.

"Have you and Damon had any more leads?" Ada questioned as Ric took the cigarette from her hands, put out the flame and tossed it off the roof

"Yeah, two more victims that were Stefans" Ric sighed

"Ada, I don't want you to expect Stefan to be the same person he was if we manage to bring him home, Damon thinks that he shut off his humanity and it might be hard for us to turn it back on"

Ada scoffed "I'm not the one you should be telling this, I never had expectations, I accepted the fact that Stefan is a vampire, being evil is what's expected of him."

"You have a birthday girl down there hoping you'll catch her boyfriend, bring him home, and they'll go back to holding hands and walking in the cemetery" Ada snaps

"Do you want me to leave you alone?" Ric knew Ada got like this sometimes, she was normally emotionally closed off, but some days were worse than others, and sticking around would be a death wish.

"Very much," Ada says while staring off into the night

"Goodnight Ada," Ric says as he climbs off the roof

Leaving Ada alone with her thoughts.

Authors note:

It took me forever to find a good story idea, but I really like Ada and think she has a lot of depth to her. This is just the first chapter, so things will get more interesting! Please comment and vote, and tell me how you feel about the story.