Twenty Two

Finally, he looked into the room.

At first, he didn't understand. Blood splattered the walls just like the entryway, the same nightmarish scene unfolded in front of him.

But for Ada, the scene was completely different. The world had stopped spinning and the air had been ripped out of her lungs, cracks appeared in her heart. Whatever had happened downstairs was a daydream compared to this.

Ada's mother lay in her bed. Without her head.

Ada's knees buckled beneath her, almost hitting the floor before Klaus caught her.

She could hear the blood rushing through her veins, her heart thumping in her chest. She wished it wouldn't, she wanted to die. She deserved to be dead.

Ada stood there for a long time, shallow breaths and Klaus's hands on her waist, making sure she wouldn't fall again. Ada had spent her life in her mind, bringing her worst fears to life for the fun of it, playing with the nightmares that lived within her for amusement. But this. This was something she had never imagined.

She wiggled out of Klaus's grip, walking forward tentatively, not caring if her feet got in any of the puddles of blood on the floor. Liz's body still lay in the bed, on her side with her legs slightly bent. Ada's hand brushed hers, which were still tucked by what should've been her head, Ada moved her hand so that she could hold it. That was probably the most intimate the mother and daughter had ever been. Ada holding Liz's corpse's hand.

"She" Ada's voice sounded like sandpaper, she inhaled a shaky breath, "she must've been taking a nap...." Her voice was barely audible

"Her shoes were, by the door" Ada mumbled to herself, Liz's hand was cold, "I knew she was home, I just" Ada didn't cry, she couldn't cry, she felt empty, hollow

"I forgot" Shaking her head furiously, Ada yanked her hand away, looking at Klaus "I forgot, I- I- she didn't even cross my mind" Ada whispered, sort of pleading to Klaus to believe her, although he already did

Klaus nodded, he inched closer to her, he just didn't want to get blood on himself "Ada..." he whispered, but she continued shaking her head furiously

"I didn't mean to, oh god" She fell to her knees, her fingers clutching the bed frame "I swear I had no idea, I didn't mean to" her head hung low as her voice cracked, zero reminisce of the girl she usually displayed

"I didn't mean too" she kept repeating it, shaking her head

Klaus was finally able to get to her, kneeling to be exactly where she was, he lay a hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him. Granted, he had no idea what to do or say, he put his over hand on the other side of her face, in an attempt to comfort her "Ada-"

Her entire body was shaking "I didn't mean to kill her" two tears fell down her face, feeling like hot concrete as they scorched down her face, landing on the floor in a pile of lava "what did I do? Klaus, what did I fucking do?" Her voice was choked with a sob

Klaus pulled her into his chest, and no part of her was strong enough to pull away, instead letting herself collapse into him, repeating the same words, over and over and over again.

"What did I do?"

_______________________________________________________________________________

Ada had been inconsolable for hours. She felt ashamed that Klaus had to see her in such a weak state, but he refused to leave, and her body refused to stop shaking.

She hadn't just killed seven people. She had killed eight. She had killed her mother.

It wasn't hard to deduce what happened, Ada's magic had slipped beyond her control, her need for survival kicked in, destroyed everyone in her wake. She was like a bomb, every time things we're getting better, she exploded and ruined everything again.