Twenty Three

TW: BAD MENTAL HEALTH, TALKS OF SUICIDE, TALKS OF SH, DON'T READ IF SENSITIVE TO DARK SUBJECT MATTER

The duvet was no longer cool, and neither side of the pillow was cold. The sheets were balled up near the end of the bed and the girl that lay in the bed looked like it was almost swallowing her whole.

The floorboards creaked.

She felt it all come rushing back to her, the Gemini Coven, what she did to her mother. She hugged her legs tighter to her body, squeezing her eyes shut, maybe in an attempt to avoid whatever monster lives under the bed. But it brought no relief, for the monster really lived inside Ada herself.

It cackled at her fear, wanting her to take pride in what she had done, instead of cowering in fear like she was. But Ada had ruined herself, there was no way she could recover from this. Her paranoia bounced off the walls, every small movement set her off, which only furthered her fear that she was a ticking time bomb, and one day she'd explode again, killing everyone in her wake. One day, it would be Caroline.

And just having that thought, was all it really took for Ada to start wanting to die again. Simple as that.

So she stayed in that bed like it was the casket she was to be buried in. She couldn't hurt anyone if she never left the confines of her room. She could hear the rain outside her window, taping away, laughing at her incapability to live like a normal human being. It had been horrible weather for over a week now, ever since Ada had killed her mother, on and off raining. One could just chalk it up to end of November bullshit, but Ada couldn't help but blame herself. It was cold, but not cold enough for snow, the sky was grey and the ground was mud, and it only made Ada feel more shitty.

A soft knock came at the door, for a second, Ada thought it was Ric coming to check on her "Ada"

"I'm going to school, I think you should come with me" Caroline whispered softly like if she spoke too loud she'd endanger waking up a sleeping giant, "I think you should get out of bed today, it's been weeks since she left us" Ada's throat was so dry, every time she swallowed it was like sandpaper

"Ada please, this is hard enough on my own" she reached for the doorknob, but when she tried to open the door, it was locked "I can hear you breathing in there" 

Ada didn't answer. She was the reason for Caroline's suffering. She had always, always tried to protect her, and now she'd betrayed her twin to the highest degree. How could she ever face her sister again without wanting to die of guilt? It was better if she stayed in her room, never seeing that sad face.

"Ada, I really need you right now" Caroline pleaded, her voice cracked "I can't do this by myself" No reply, Caroline rested her head againest the door, no matter how many times they argued, or made up, things never changed "I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else, god forbid you ever leave the house"

"I'm going to visit Alaric today" It was barely a whsiper, croaky and strained, but Caroline heard the murmur from through the door

Caroline sighed, shutting her eyes for a moment "the cemetery? Is that really.." she didn't finish her sentence, she didn't know what to do, and the best option seemed to be to leave Ada with whatever decision she made.

"Okay, I'll be home later" and with that, Caroline left, maybe if she never came back, she would no longer be in danger of getting caught in Ada's wake.

_______________________________________________________________________________

The air was like shards of ice, all whipping at you for a thousand miles per hour, piercing your skin, melting and freezing you to the bone. The ground was covered in reddish-brownish leaves, trees empty and thin while you stepped on their creations. The leaves were mushy and dying, Ada had sort of miss the peak period of their beauty.