Fourteen

Don't disappear, ok?

Alaric's last words to her rattled around in Ada's mind, the only other sound in the empty school hallway beside Caroline and Ada's footsteps.

The silence between the pair was somewhat deafening. Caroline knew that Ada and their recently deceased history teacher were close, although she didn't really know the extent of their relationship. So, when Ada willingly left her bed this morning to help clean up the dance, Caroline was slightly taken aback.

She didn't know what to say to her twin. When their father died, Ada refused to leave her room, which made it a hell of a lot easier for Caroline, she could deal with her grief on her own. But Caroline wasn't as close to Alaric, and a pit in her stomach told her that her sister wasn't doing well, no matter what facade she put on. Call it twin-tuition or whatever.

"Ada-" Caroline let out a sigh as she tried to stitch together what she was going to say,

It wasn't a secret that Caroline and Ada were quite different, but sometimes Caroline felt like she didn't even know the auburn-haired girl. Contrary to what Ada believed, Caroline did notice a lot more than she let on, she noticed when Ada used to come home smiling like a fool, or when a rusty old sedan pulled up to the house at all hours of the night. When she noticed her sister's happiness, Caroline finally let herself stop worrying about her sister, thankful that she had found someone, but maybe that had been Caroline's mistake. She pulled back from Ada's life, focused on herself thinking everything was fine, which was why it took her so long to realize that Ada had stopped smiling, and the sparkle in her eye had been stamped out.

"Did you ever notice?" Ada said out of the blue, which stopped Caroline in her tracks

"Did I ever notice what?" Caroline furrowed her brow at the out of the blue question

Ada stopped and looked at her sister "When I never came with you to see Dad. When I didn't go on vacations or attend Christmas, you know, did you ever notice how Dad treated me?" Her voice was free of malice, although it sounded like she'd been holding in that question for a long time

"I-" Ada's abrupt question caught the blond vampire off guard

"Actually never mind-, just forget I asked" Ada started walking again, making her pace two times faster than last time

"No, no it's, this is good" Caroline jogged slightly to catch up "Of course, Ada, of course, I noticed how mom and dad treated you, I just" Ada's stomach felt like a storm, a never-ending storm as she finally got the answers she had long craved "They were supposed to be my protectors, the people I came to whenever something happened, the people who always loved me, and when I saw how they were with you, I just couldn't accept, I couldn't accept the fact that they could be so cruel. Especially to their own daughter,"

Ada let out a long breath, to Caroline the question seem out of the blue, but it swam through Ada's mind all the time. Caroline was the last person she had left, Ada desperately needed something to make her feel more whole, maybe that could be the truth.

"Fair" Ada's laughed slightly, but she couldn't tell how she felt, she didn't feel any different

The twins stood right outside the door to the gymnasium, where they'd have to clean up the dance from last night, that had gone so astray. A sudden black blur ran across the hallway, capturing the Forbes sister's attention. Ada furrowed her brow, throwing a glance over to her sister.

"Hello?" Caroline called out but all her voice did was echo through the empty hall

Ada shrugged, and they entered the gym.

Rebekah stood at a table, shoving cups into a trash can "Where's Matt?" Caroline asked

"He bailed, got called into work at the last minute"