Chapter41: License to Practice

Hey❤️
Sorry I'm late.
Editing took me all day.
Love you.
-malayjahthewriter

Mercury let out a yawn as she strolled down the hallway.

At the Portal door, her brother and Grandmother stood there holding one another. Apollo had a suitcase in his hand, and a warry smile over his face.

"Finally Leaving." Meryl sighed, patting his back. "I'm gonna miss my grandbaby."

"You've still got Mercury."

"She'll be running off with that wolf one of these days." Meryl pouted.

Mercury let out a chuckle as she neared the two of them.

Her brother was finally heading off for his defense training up in Anthrolight. He had been waiting practically all year building himself for it. It was the same waiting Mercury had once pictured herself doing at his age.

"I Know you're going to be busy the first couple of months, but don't forget to call okay? Don't make me worry."

"I won't Grandma."

With the end of holiday came the time for everyone to get back to work, and their studies. The house full of Johsnons had dispersed shortly after Christmas.

Meryl tugged her grandson's by his ear and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "You make sure you eat properly okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

Meryl reluctantly stepped back, as Mercury stepped forward.

"Saturn." Apollo's teasing tone, he patted her head. "Look after grandma. Don't be so distracted by your wolf."

He reached down and looped his arms around her. "When I come back you better be better have surpassed Solstice in medicine training, yea?"

"Yea." Mercury chuckled.

"And guess what?"

"What?"

"Dad and Mom left together."

Mercury raised her eyebrow. "This is going to be an interesting new year."

"Keep me posted." He nodded his head to both his grandmother and sister. "Bye guys."

"See you Pollie." Mercury waved to him.

"Look after yourself."

He sent one final nod, before stepping through the door and closing it behind him.

Meryl looked like she was on the verge of tears.

Throughout the years she had grown accustomed to having her grandchildren within her house. Apollo had been with her as soon as he left highschool, and before that Solstice had spent most of his years of studying within her home.

She enjoyed the company. Her husband had passed a couple years prior, and it was her grandchildren for the most part that had kept her spirits high.

"He'll be fine." Mercury told her grandma, seeing the emotion building in her eyes. "And you still have me grandma. And now you don't have to scream about the smell of weed in the house anymore."

Meryl felt herself laugh at that. "At Least I still have my favorite granddaughter."

"I'm your only granddaughter."

"Ready?"

"Yea." Mercury nodded as she stepped near the portal door herself. "I'll be back by seven."