35. Promises

The quidditch pitch was no longer the rocky quarry it was months ago but was now full of twenty-foot hedges that ran into a maze. We must've had to complete a maze of some sort.

We all took our seats as I had left the Duvals, allowing them to be amongst themselves. I took my seat between Draco and Pansy as Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle along with Theo had taken their seats a row ahead.

"Are you okay?" I looked to my left and turned to Pansy.

"Of course I'm alright, why wouldn't I be alright?" She chuckled and placed a hand on my knee which stopped a tapping I had ignored.

"Because you're tapping your knee like crazy and it's driving me nuts. Scarlett, you don't have to worry, you'll do great." at this the rest of the group had tuned in.

"Yeah, Scarlett you'll do great." "Don't worry Scar, we're all here." "You're gonna win!"

I laughed as they all began to say things at once before turning to Pansy once more, "See, we all have your back. And Scarlett." I met her eyes as her face became stern and cold, "If you don't return, I am coming in after you myself. So don't you dare leave me. Understood?"

I sighed and pulled her into a hug, "Never Pansy, I won't leave you ever. But don't you dare run in after me. I will return, don't you worry." We pulled apart and I turned to Draco.

"Dragon." he lifted his head and smiled as he gazed into my eyes, "I know it'll be hard, but this last task was said to be the hardest. So, so just in case. If I don't return-" he quickly grabbed my hand gripping it gently.

"Don't talk like that Scar. Please, I can't lose you not after just getting you back. Don't talk like that." I squeezed his hand and leaned in.

"I know, I know. But if I don't come back. Please do whatever it takes to stop Pansy from running in, and that means you as well. No matter what happens, don't come after me." he began to shake his head.

"No, no Scar you're coming back." I pulled him into a hug and held my arms around his neck.

"I know, but just in case. Promise me, please? Please Draco, promise me." my voice was now quiet and soft as I was barely holding myself together.

He pulled away and met my eyes, "I promise you Scarlett Grindelwald, that if you don't return. We- we won't come after you." a few tears trickled down his cheek as I wiped his face, he gave a small smile which I returned as he began to lean in.

"CHAMPIONS! If you would please join me." Dumbledore's voice rang through the crowd as I met his eyes once more.

"Wish me luck." I forced a smile and rose from my seat, he stood and kissed my forehead hugging me again.

"You don't need luck." I gave a playful smirk and turned to give everyone one last hug as I soon made my way to the front.

Diggory had followed his father as he ran in followed by Krum and his headmaster. I had arrived alongside Professor Snape, as my uncle wasn't allowed to attend.

As we waited for Gen and Potter to arrive I looked off into the crowd knowing he was there regardless. I skimmed over many heads before meeting the concerned eyes of the one and only Donovan White.

I knew he would find a way to turn up to this event and I knew he would come no matter the consequences.

I gave a small wave and offered a smirk which he returned, he nodded as I did turning back to Professor Dumbledore as the rest had arrived.

Gen was followed by her parents and Potter accompanied by Professor Moody.

"The final task has fallen upon us as the five champions will journey through this maze in search of the Tri-Wizard Cup. The cup was placed by Professor Moody as only he knows of its exact location." the crowd went wild until Dumbledore spoke again.

"This cup is placed at the very heart of the maze and the winner will be the first to lay their touch upon the object. Now as Miss Grindelwald," my friends jumped up and cheered as many others did as well.

"And Mr. Diggory," once more cheers were sounded, "Are tied for first they will be the first enter the maze together. While Miss Duval and Mr. Potter tied for second will follow and shortly after Mr. Krum." The crowds were going wild and soon continued to cheer as the rest of the rules were explained.

Dumbledore gathered the champions in a circle and motioned for us to listen.

"In this maze, you will face many things. Not dragons nor creatures of the deep instead you will find something even more. You will face yourselves among other things. You see, people change in the maze, so find that cup if you can, but be very wary as you might just lose yourself along the way."

He peered among the circle as we all listened intently, "Now!" we dispersed and found our starting marks, "Prepare yourselves!" the crowd went wild as I took my mark at the second entrance beside Diggory.

I looked over to him and he offered a small smile, "Scarlett, I know we aren't close but we've known each other forever. So good luck."

I smirked and faced the maze once more, "Thanks Diggory but I'm not here for the cup."

We stationed ourselves as Dumbledore spoke once more, "On the count of three. One-" the cannon went off early as usual and we were off.

I took off but made one last look behind me as the hedges closed only meeting his eyes for a second.

I surely hoped to see the swirl-grey eyes once more but wasted no time as I dashed into the hedges, proceeding into the dark maze.

I had a task and it wasn't to win.