40. The Truth

There were no words to describe how I felt.

She was gone and it wouldn't be the same. I stood and levitated her body as I summoned a white sheet that was placed over her. I slowly made my way back to our friends.

I quickly wiped my tears but they never stopped. When they realized what happened they all rushed towards us. I explained to them the situation and Blaise fell into my arms as I held him tight.

I leaned on Draco's shoulder as I held Blaise in a comforting hug. Crabbe and Goyle helped carry her body back to a professor but there was no one there.

In a desperate means of help, I turned to Donovan White. He nodded and soon disappeared as I grabbed my friends and we all disappeared as well.

We landed on the hardwood floors as my uncle was now waiting. I gently lowered her body down on the couch as my uncle and some elves looked over her.

He shook his head and turned to me, "I'm sorry Scarly." I broke again and fell into his arms as he held me close. I was tired and now broken as I had just lost my best friend.

Hours later, we had held a small service at Grindelwald Manor where her parents attended along with the Zabinis and the Malfoys. Crabbe and Goyle stood nearby as we held the small gathering.

When the time came to lower the body away, we made our way to the Parkinson Mansion and left her there in her final resting place.

When the time was coming to an end we made our way back to Hogwarts and straight to the common rooms.

I reunited with Gen and Bella as they held me tightly upon congratulating me for winning.

We had all been excused from classes for the last two weeks of school as the tournament was over. And with the last two weeks, I felt numb.

I barely spoke to anyone but still finished things that needed to be finished.

I stood at the podium as I received my prize money and trophy but made no speech nor did I celebrate as I won but lost as I can't win without everyone I love.

I decided to gift the prize of 1000 galleons to the Weasley twins as I knew they would make good use of it. In doing so, they managed to cheer both Blaise and I up just a bit.

They told us that she wouldn't want us crying over her, and that she was always going to be waiting for when we would reunite with her.

The end of year feast had soon come and there was tribute to pay.

"As the year ends, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend."

Dumbledore stood to his podium as the somber students listened.

"This is why I believe you have a right to know how he really died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered! By Lord Voldemort. The ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, would be an insult to his memory."

"Now, the pain, we all feel of this dreadful loss reminds us, reminds me that while we may come from different places and speak different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

"In light of these events that bond of friendships are more important than ever! Remember that Cedric Diggory will not die in vain. You remember that!"

"Now there is also another that I must speak of, Pansy Parkinson. And though she was not a champion her death was a tragic accident. But I will not elaborate as that is not my place, Ms. Grindelwald."

He turned to me and motioned for me to stand.

I stood slowly and Blaise turned to me confused, "What does he mean, tragic accident? I thought she died to a blast-ended skrewt, what really happened, Scarlett?"

"I- I- uhh." I met Draco's eyes who held a caring look. He grabbed my hand and gently held it tight, I turned to the crowd of students before taking a deep breath.

"Upon Potter- err, Harry and my return, I reunited with my own friends. Though in doing so I also heard that Pansy had run into the maze after me. She was worried and concerned for my own life rather than her own. When I cleared the maze and tore it all down, I saw her."

"But as she began to return towards me, she was stopped by a blast-ended skrewt. However she made no action towards it and froze. I took initiative upon myself as I," as a single tear fell down my cheek I looked to Blaise, "I summoned a lightning bolt which did indeed save her from the creature, but in return the blast of light took her life. She was a noble friend who I would do anything for and I would gladly take her place, but- but I can't."

I took my seat once more as I turned to Blaise who narrowed his eyes to me, "You lied. How could you?"

"You think I wanted this?! You think I want her gone! I don't!" I countered as we ignored the words of Dumbledore.

"Then why did you do it?"

I slammed my fist to the table and stood from my seat, "I didn't mean to!" I yelled at him as everyone turned back to us.

Looking around, I saw that I was being judged, and I didn't care but no one wants others to think they killed their best friend on purpose. I turned to Dumbledore with a pleading look and he nodded.

Within a second I dashed. I ran out into the courtyards and soon through the grass. I stood as I looked out to the Black Lake. I cried as I slowly disappeared.

Soon enough I was back in my own room, surrounded by photographs of her and myself, photographs of each of my friends

I fell to my knees as I cried silently. I lost yet another person and felt numb.