chapter thirteen

Camila was the first to wake the next morning. After blinking a few times to adjust her eyes to the bright sun, she looked down do find Y/N curled into her chest. She smiled, remembering the night before. Camila had brought Y/N into her bedroom and they just laid there together,
Y/N holding Camila close to her. Sometime throughout the night, theirs roles switched and now Camila was the one holding Y/N.

Camila took a deep breath, unbelievably happy with their current position, one she'd never have expected. She carefully brought her hand up to run through Y/N's hair, not trying to wake her yet.

Unfortunately, Y/N did wake up about ten minutes later. Camila had imagined her waking and looking up at her with a smile before kissing her softly.

Instead, however, Y/N jumped back from Camila's body as soon as she noticed their position. She sat up, refusing to look at the detective.

Camila didn't know what to say, her throat felt tight. She didn't expect that reaction, though perhaps she should have. "I'll um...I'll go make breakfast." She waited for a reply but left after receiving none.

Y/N looked around the room, her brain running wild. She'd woken up so relaxed and at peace until she registered where she was and who she was with. Her body was sent into fight or flight, realizing she let herself become too comfortable. Y/N closed her eyes, taking a few deep breaths. She had to readjust how high her walls were because she could feel them crumbling and she wouldn't let that happen. She mentally built them back up and stood from the bed, leaving the room.

As she entered the kitchen, she took in the sight of Camila plating some Eggo waffles on a couple plates. Her heart clenching at the sight, though she was unsure why. She chalked it up to her being uncomfortable and moved closer, just as Camila turned around. "Hey," she smiled, handing Y/N a plate as she walked towards the couch.

Y/N took a seat on the far right, Camila sitting on the other end, positioning herself so that she was facing Y/N, her back against the arm rest, her knees bent.

The two ate in relative silence, Camila dying for Y/N to say something, anything. She extended her bent legs, her toes just barely brushing against Y/N's thigh, trying to get her to notice Camila's desperation for her to speak.

However, Y/N didn't respond with words and only stood from the couch to go wash her plate. Camila sighed, closing her eyes to try and calm herself down. She wasn't mad in anyway, just getting more disappointed by the minute. She felt as though she made a mistake, maybe moved too fast.

Y/N slid on her shoes and moved towards the door. Camila picked at the food on her plate, waiting to hear the door open and close. After a few moment of silence, she looked up towards
Y/N, finding her looking at her already. "You coming?"

Camila sprung up from the couch, almost dropping her plate. "Uh, yeah. Let me just get my shoes on." Maybe she didn't make a mistake, maybe Y/N is just adjusting to this change in their relationship.

————

Camila walked into the station, waving to the desk officer as she made her way to her desk. "Hey, stranger." Normani greeted.

"Hi." Camila smiled. "It's good to be back." She sat down in her chair, breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Yeah? Wait till you see the paperwork left for you." Normani winked, sliding over some files. "How are you feeling? That must have been some horrible flu."

"Uh, yeah. It was rough." Camila lied with a tight smile, as she grabbed the files and started looking through them. She glanced up, noticing Normani looking at her with a pointed look. "What?"