chapter two

"Well, someone's here early." Normani spoke up, letting her presence known as she sat at her desk. Across from her, Camila was reading through old police reports. "What are you doing anyway?" She asked, sipping her coffee.

"I..." Camila paused to read, tracing the words with her finger. "...am trying to see if our two mysterious 'vigilantes' appeared at any other crime scenes. So far there's nothing."

"Maybe they were there but they weren't added to the report." Normani shrugged, opening her laptop.

Camila stopped reading, her finger holding her place, as she looked up at her partner. "Kordei..." She started.

"Hmm?" Normani replied, her eyes trained on her computer screen.

"Did you leave them out of the report?" Camila asked skeptically. Normani scoffed, receiving a pointed look from Camila. Finally, she sighed, nodding her head. "Why would you do that?"

"Cabello," She looked up from her computer finally. "We've been after this man for months. Let's just take the win." Normani told her, watching Camila clench her jaw tightly. "No one needs to know we had help. I mean, hell, we don't even know their names."

"The man was shot in the knee cap. How are you gonna cover that? And what about when he says something about two other people that aren't us?" Camila argued, her research on the two vigilantes forgotten for the time being.

"Don't worry, I took the fall for the shot." Normani sipped her coffee. "And as for him saying something, who do you think people will believe? I mean, I don't think he'd like to say that not two, but four, women stopped him."

Camila sighed, chewing her bottom lip in thought. "Fine." She went back to reading the report.

"You're not gonna find anything in there." Normani mused.

"Well, what do you suggest I do? Wait for them to come visit?" Camila snapped.

————

"This is the most bland file we've ever got." Lauren sighed, slouching down on the chair that was in the office. "Like, he has a record but it's locked? What does that even mean?"

"I don't know." Dinah replied. "I'm trying to get into it but I can't break this firewall." She paused her typing to look up at her coworker who was chewing her finger nails, lost in thought. "Care to help us, Y/N? You don't have much nail left there."

Y/N glared at the Polynesian. "You said he has a record that's locked?" Dinah nodded. "Then why don't we ask those detectives for a favor." She shrugged. "They owe us."

"Wait, wait, wait," Lauren sat up. "You, of all people, want to bring in the police?"

"I mean, why not." Y/N said, shrugging again, showing that she was semi-uncomfortable with the questioning. "They let us go, right? Maybe they'll help us out if we ask."

"You...want to trust the cops on something?" Dinah asked skeptically.

"I never said I trust them." Y/N snapped defensively. "I just said maybe we could use them." She crossed her arms.

"Fine." Dinah gave up. "You can ask them then."

————

"Detective Cabello?" One of the officers called out.

"Yeah?" She answered, not looking up from the files she was still going through.

"Uh, there's someone here asking to see you."

Camila furrowed her eyebrows. Who would ask to see her? She got up from her desk to go look. As she rounded the corner, her heart dropped a little. There, leaning on the front desk, was one of the girls from the night before. The one who gave her the smart remarks. Camila looked her up and down as she wore tight black jeans, a tank top tucked into the waistband and a button down shirt opened over that. Get it together, Camila, she thought to herself before walking out. "You asked to see me?"

The girl raised her head, smirking as she came face to face with the detective. "That's what he told you, isn't it?" She raised an eyebrow.

"So? What is it?" She asked, crossing her arms.

Y/N sighed, looking around. "Just figured I'd cash in that favor you owe me."

"Favor?" Camila scoffed. "What favor?"

"Ya know, the one you owe me after I caught your serial killer." The detectives eyes widened as she grabbed the girl's wrist and pulled her into a vacant interrogation room. "Oh, was that a secret?" Y/N whispered mockingly.

"Oh, shut up." Camila rolled her eyes. "And, by the way, I don't owe you anything. For all I know you're a sociopath who was working with that man."

"You don't really believe that." Y/N told her. "Anyway, there's someone I need information on. He has a record but it's locked. I need to know what's on it."

"Excuse me?" Camila's eyes widened. "I can't do that. That's illegal. If it's locked, it's locked for a reason." She told her. "Besides, why do you need to know anyway?"

"Because," Y/N sighed, plopping down in the chair at the metal table. "He's about to get in trouble again. I'd like to stop that."

"What makes you so sure you can stop that? How do you even know he's gonna do something?" Camila asked. Although she came across as annoyed, she was genuinely curious about this mysterious person.

"I know we're in an interrogation room, but this is not an interrogation. So cool it with the questions." Y/N snapped, her cool demeanor faltering. "Just get me his file, and I can stop whatever he's about to do."

"What, you expect me to just trust you?" Camila asked. "I don't even know your name."

"Y/N." She replied, taking a deep breath. Camila tilted her head slightly. "My name. It's Y/N. Now that file?" She smirked.

————
(a/n): so every chapter will be a different 'case'. sometimes it'll take two chapters but ya

what do you think about the characters so far?

don't forget to vote
thanks for reading ❤️