chapter eighteen

Camila made her way through the police station. She had received a text from Normani asking her to meet her there because she had to tell her something important. She didn't know what to expect but still, her nerves were taking over. A large knot tightened in her stomach the closer she got to her. She found her partner by the interrogation rooms. "Hey," She greeted. "What is it?"

Normani turned to Camila, taking a deep breath. "I'm so sorry." That was all she said. Camila furrowed her brow before following Normani's gaze. "She asked me to bec--" Her voice cut out from Camila's head as she looked through the two-way mirror.

"Why is she in there?" Camila asked, unable to move her glance from the woman sitting inside the room. Her hands were folded in front of her, wrists chained to the table. Her head was down, not necessarily out of shame though.

"I just said," Normani replied. "She surrendered herself."

"For what?" Camila sneered. "There are no charges against her."

"Camila--"

"No. You promised."

"I didn't actually. And she raised a good point and--"

"Whatever." Camila scoffed. "I need to talk to her." She walked over to the door and let herself in, making sure to reach up and unplug the security camera above the door before she was in its sight-line. She sighed, leaning back against the door. Camila had plans to come into this room and take all her anger out on Y/N. But as soon as she laid eyes on the woman, she forgot she was mad. All she saw was the woman she loved chained to a table. "What did you do?" She breathed out, holding back a sob.

Y/N hasn't looked up at all. She knew the detective was the one to enter before she even spoke. She could tell by both the sound of her walk and the scent of her perfume. She wasn't sure why but she just couldn't make herself look up.

Camila grew frustrated at Y/N's lack of response to both her entrance and question. She walked forward, slamming her hand down on the metal table Y/N was sitting it. "What the fuck did you do!?"

This got Y/N's attention. Camila had never, not once, raised her voice at her. Looking up, she met her angry gaze. The look in her eyes must have given away her shock since Camila's gaze softened. "I had to." Was all Y/N would say.

"No, you didn't." Camila told her, walking around the table. After removing her hand cuffs, she knelt down beside her, cautiously placing a hand on her knee. Y/N turned to look at her, shifting in her chair. "I'm gonna figure something out. I can't let you stay here."

"Yes, you can." Y/N told her. "I need to be here."

Camila slid her tongue over her lips as she looked at Y/N, trying to figure out what she was thinking. She knew there was no way she really thought she needed to be here. That wouldn't make sense. Why now? Why only after Camila found out what she did. It just wasn't adding up. The detective couldn't figure out why Y/N was so adamant about staying here. "Y/N..."

They stayed silent, looking at each other. Then, before Camila could react, Y/N had leaned forward, connecting their lips.

It took Camila by surprise since Y/N had never initiated a kiss. After regaining her composure, she kissed her back, realizing this may very well be the last time she will get the chance to feel her lips against her own. Y/N's, now free, hand came up to cup the side of Camila's neck. Her thumb crossed over her throat, holding her neck as if she were going to choke her. This act raised Camila's heart rate exponentially, exciting her.

It felt like only a few milliseconds before Y/N pulled away. It was way too soon for Camila but when she opened her eyes, Y/N was sitting at the table, facing forward, head down, and hands folded in front of her as if nothing had happened. Camila stood, confused. She made her way to the door and paused, unable to look back at Y/N. "I love you..." She told her before plugging the camera back in and leaving the room.