chapter fifteen

One of the reasons Camila was an amazing detective was her ability to see all sides of a case. She could place herself in the shoes of everyone involved which helped her get a better idea on what took place and why. This also happened to be the main reason for her insomnia, but she couldn't help it. The three other women were smart. They were able to read situations different from how Camila could, they offered a fresh take.

Knowing this, Camila couldn't stop turning what they said over in her mind. She valued their opinion, especially Y/N's, but there is no way that Detective Flores is part of all of this. He would never do that willingly.

But, then again, she only knew him from what she saw at work. They'd worked together for quite a while, sure, but she never talked to him about his life outside of work. And it's possible he was able to play 'good detective' when he needed to.

Camila rolled over, cursing Y/N for putting this into her head. These thoughts eventually evolved into thoughts about the aforementioned woman. She knew nothing about Y/N's past, only what she's seen in person since she's known her. Dinah and Lauren don't tell old stories and Y/N has never opened up about it. Half of her starts to think that she doesn't really know Y/N at all, since you are what you experienced. Everything that happens in your life, shapes you into who you are. But Camila has no idea what Y/N experienced before they met.

The other half of her thinks that knowing Y/N's past doesn't matter. She knows who she is, who she really is, that should be what matters. She knows who she has become. Sure, she's complicated and mysterious and struggles with emotions, but that's just who she is. That's just Y/N. And Camila loves her.

But can she really love her if she doesn't know anything about her?

Camila groans and rolls over, trying desperately to slow her mind down. It doesn't work. Nothing does.

So, she got out of bed, put on her clothes, and left her apartment. She got in her car and just drove. To where? Well, Camila didn't really know. Not until she pulled up on the curb outside of the apartment the three women shared.

With a sigh, Camila threw her head back. Closing her eyes, she asked herself why she showed up here, of all places. She couldn't bring herself to leave though.

She finally managed to fall asleep until she was woken by a sharp knock on the passenger window. Instinctively, she reached to the side pocket on her seat and pulled out her hand gun, aiming it at the window.

"It's just me." Y/N spoke, her voice muffled as she stood outside the car.

"You scared me." Camila let out a breath of relief, lowering her gun, and putting it back in the seat pocket.

"Why are you sitting out here at three in the morning?" Y/N asked. Camila couldn't really come up with an answer to that so she just stared at Y/N blankly. "Alright, come on." Y/N tossed her head to the side, towards the building. "You can stay here tonight."

Camila tried to hide her excitement as she quickly unbuckled and got out of her car, walking around it to where Y/N was. She was well aware of the fact that she was the only person Y/N allowed in her room. Hell, she was the only person Y/N invited inside. This was a fact she didn't take lightly. She followed her in and to her bedroom. Y/N grabbed some pajamas and handed them to Camila before climbing back into her bed. She rested her head back and closed her eyes, giving Camila privacy.

With her back turned, Camila started to change, glancing over her shoulder at Y/N. She swore she could see her quickly snap her eyes shut. Camila stifled a smirk and finished before climbing into the other side of the bed. She turned on her side, facing Y/N. After a few moments, Y/N followed suit. They both looked at each other, their noses about two inches apart.

Camila couldn't help but wonder how she went from thinking about how she didn't know Y/N to being this close to her, in her bed, wearing her clothes. She swallowed, her stomach jumping slightly when Y/N's eyes looked at her lips before snapping back to her eyes. Her heart beat was so erratic, she was scared the other girl could feel it. "Y/N..." she breathed out. "Can I...can I kiss you?"

She didn't react for a few moments but Camila didn't let her eyes leave Y/N's. She watched her tongue slide across her lips before she slightly nodded. Camila leaned in slowly, giving Y/N time to pull away if it was too much. She kept their eyes locked so she could read for any discomfort. Camila isn't sure if she reached Y/N's lips already or Y/N closed the gap but either way, their lips were connected. Camila sighed softly, her body completely at ease. They held it for a second before Camila pulled away, smiling as Y/N seemed to follow her slightly. "Goodnight, Y/N."

"Goodnight, Detective."

----------

The next morning, Camila awoke to soft voices coming from outside the room. She noticed that Y/N was nowhere to be seen, a soft imprint left on the bed next to her where she had been just a few hours prior. "Let her sleep." Camila heard Y/N's voice from outside the room, presumably speaking to Dinah and Lauren. "She needs it."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure your girlfriend gets her beauty sleep." Camila could practically hear Y/N's eye roll, her usual response to Dinah's comments on their...relationship? Who knows. "Just get out of here already. Let me know what you guys find."

Camila had no idea what Y/N and Lauren were going out to find but she decided to take the opportunity given to her. She waited until Dinah walked down the hall, stopping briefly at Y/N's room, before continuing to the office, shutting the door. She climbed out of the bed and began looking around Y/N's room. There was barely any furniture let alone decorations. All the room contained was a bed, a bookshelf, a desk, and a dresser. Camila scanned the bookshelf but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Upon reaching the desk, however, she notices small marks left on the wood floor by the feet, as if the desk had been pushed across the floor more than once. Camila, hoping it wouldn't make too much noise, moved the desk along the pre-made tracks, revealing a small vent on the wall. The screws on the four corners were not tightly secured. Camila looked on the desk and found some coins. She grabbed a quarter and dropped to her knees to get the screws out the rest of the way. Once she had successfully removed the vent cover, she found a small wooden box inside.

Grabbing it, she noticed it wasn't too heavy and had small carvings on top. She lifted the lid and found a small leather-bound notebook along with a small manilla folder. She opened the notebook and her confusion grew even more. Each page looked the same.

#20771 -- $40,000 -- 56877293

#31882 -- $34,000 -- 68253829

#42991 -- $46,000 -- 83369753

Each page had these numbers and odd amounts of money. She moved her attention to the folder, finding newspaper clippings of different faces. They seemed like obituary pictures or something. On the back of each one were sets of numbers similar to those in the notebook.

Camila heard the office door open and she quickly grabbed her phone from her jeans that were thrown on the floor last night. She took pictures of everything she found, before putting everything back where she had found it. She gathered her things and left the room, finding Dinah in the kitchen. "Morning." She greeted.

"Oh, uh, good morning." Camila stuttered. She held her clothes closer to her, nervous that Dinah somehow knew she was snooping around Y/N's things.

"So...how was your night?" She asked, holding eye contact as she took a sip of her coffee.

"It was good." Camila swallowed. "I have to go...to work." She made up as an excuse.

"In Y/N's pajamas?" Dinah smirked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm gonna go home first to change."

"Okay. Have fun at 'work'." Dinah laughed, walking by Camila and back towards the office.

--------
(a/n): hiiii. I'm super excited to be back and I'm really happy with my plans for where to take this. Its gonna be a bumpy ride 😈

anywayyyy the next update SHOULD be soon. I have some free time to write and like I said, I'm excited as FUCK to update and see your reactions

don't forget to vote and KEEP STREAMING FAMILIA
As always, thanks for reading❤️