chapter nine

Y/N made her way up the stairs to Camila's apartment as she had every morning since the young Detective's episode. She balanced one of the coffees she had between her body and arm as she knocked on the door. Within seconds it opened a crack, letting Y/N push it open the rest of the way and come inside.

She walked in to see Camila round the island that sat in the center of the kitchen, a piece of buttered toast between her teeth as her hands worked on buttoning up her work shirt, her hair still in a messy braid.

Y/N placed her coffee down on the island, pushing it towards her as she took a seat on one of the stools. Camila finished buttoning her shirt, highly aware of Y/N's wandering eyes, and removed the piece of bread from her mouth. "You know," She began. "Not that I don't love seeing your face every morning, because I do," Y/N rolled her eyes. "But you don't have to keep checking up on me. I'm fine." She told her, taking a sip of her coffee and immediately flinching as the hot liquid hit her tongue, leaving a rough pain in its wake.

"It was only five days ago." Was all Y/N replied. Camila was used to this and shrugged it off, leaving to the bathroom to brush out her hair.

She walked in and paused as she stared at the bathtub. Although she doesn't fully remember what happened that day, she does have a faint memory of  Y/N bathing her, taking care of her. Her heart jumped lightly at the thought, but Camila ignored it and grabbed her hair brush.

------

As Camila left the bathroom, finally ready to leave her apartment, she found Y/N standing by the door, waiting for her. "No. No, you're not giving me a ride to work again." She spoke as she noticed the look Y/N gave her.

"You seem to think you have a choice." Y/N told her, opening her apartment door and holding it open for her. Camila felt a small tingling sensation shoot straight to her core at Y/N's demanding tone. As she walked out of the door, she let her eyes lock with the other woman's for a few seconds longer than necessary. Noticing a small gulp, she smiled triumphantly to herself. Two can play at that game.

The two had been driving for a few minutes when Camila's voice broke through the silence, "Why do you insist on being my chauffeur?" Y/N looked over at her briefly, her face stoic, before turning back to the road. "Okay." Camila breathed out, looking out her window. She didn't expect a big response anyway.

Y/N, on the other hand, decided silence was the best option as she, herself, didn't know why she was doing the absolute most for the detective. Thankfully, her phone began to ring so she didn't need to think anymore into it. "Yeah?"

Camila turned her head, watching as Y/N held the phone to her ear. Once the conversation was over, the driver looked back at her. "It was Lauren. They got a new file. It's confusing I guess."

"Okay. Let me help." Camila told her. She received a questioning glance in return. "I'm only going in to work on some paper work today. I'll just go help you guys instead. Four heads is better than one. Is that alright with you, mom?" She ended sarcastically.

Y/N thought on it before nodding. "Alright. But never call me 'mom' again."

"So you prefer 'daddy'? Good to know." Camila smirked, turning to look out her window again, not noticing the tighter grip Y/N took on the steering wheel.

------

Y/N walked into the office, getting the attention of both Dinah and Lauren who already occupied the room. "Ah, there you are," Dinah began. "I was starting to think you were gonna blow us off again for--"

"Detective Cabello! How surprising to see you!" Lauren cut Dinah off, and, unintentionally finishing her sentence.

"Yeah, I uh, figured you could use the help." She smiled, standing rather awkwardly under the intense scrutiny of Dinah's stare.