chapter seventeen

Y/N looked up at the same building she had been for the past few weeks. It was her 16th, and last, day in Chicago. She watched as #75224 walked out of the two large glass doors at the building's entrance, just as she had the last two Wednesdays. She walked to the parking garage next door and soon drove away in her black Lexus.

Y/N waited a good 15 minutes before exiting her vehicle, as that was usually the window of time people would come back if they forgot something. Once her target had not, in fact, returned (which was unfortunate for her, as it would have delayed the inevitable by breaking Y/N's schedule) Y/N got out of her car, which she had parked in a blind spot to all CCTV cameras in the vicinity. She made her way to the building, taking out her burner phone. She called the apartment's front lobby, where a security guard was sitting at a large desk.

"Old Town Park Apartments, how can I help you?"

"Hi!" Y/N answered, feigning an alarmed and scared voice. "T-there was a man outside my window! He's in the alleyway behind the building. He was just staring at my window!" She made up.

"Can you give me your apartment number? Ma'am?" Y/N had hung up, watching as the man stood and quickly made his way to the back of the building in search of a non-existent man.

Once he had vacated the lobby, Y/N made her way in and up to the target's apartment. She picked the lock open and let herself in, locking it behind her, just as she had done a few times before. Everything looked the same as it did, but she still decided to take a look around. The man who hired her told her about a gun located in the nightstand of the main bedroom. While that was there and accounted for, Y/N still looked for any surprises.

She wore leather gloves over her hands, a surgical N-95 mask over her face, and a tight cap over her head and under her hood as she always did. This was to ensure no fingerprints, spit or snot particles, or hair were left at the scene.

After she was sure there were no weapons within the area, she took a seat on one of the chairs in the living room that was facing the entrance to said room. Then, she waited.

Just when she expected, the sound of the door unlocking echoed through the flat, followed by the sound of heels on the floor. Y/N listened as her target removed said shoes, put her bag on the kitchen island, and made her way to the bedroom that was just past the living room. She had one earring out and was going to remove the other when she noticed Y/N sitting in her living room, her gun pointed straight at her.

She jumped, her face devoid of all color. "W-who are you?" She asked, obviously frightened.

"Sit." Y/N ordered.

"I have a safe, in the other room. You can take whatever you want a-and anything else." She tried to reason. Y/N had seen the safe and broke into it when searching for weapons. There wasn't much in there, not that she would be interested anyway.

"Sit." She ordered again in the same tone.

The target followed and walked around the couch, sitting down obediently. "What do you want? If it's money, I can give you that just please d—"

"Don't hurt you?" She asked. "I don't want your money." Y/N sat up slightly straighter. As always, she began giving her short explanation, something she always did. She liked her targets to at least know why she was there. While the idea of them dying with no idea why didn't exactly bother her, she felt better telling them. "I was hired by someone who wanted to keep your affair private."

"I-I won't say anything! I promise. Please." She begged. They always begged. Usually her targets had done something wrong in some way whether it be robbery, blackmail, assault, but this one was different. This woman was just in the way of a budding congressman's chance at presidency. He didn't want to take the chance of anyone finding out about her and having it bring him down.

"You're right." Y/N told her. "You won't say anything." She fired one shot, directly between her eyes. The silencer on her gun muting the gunshot. Her target fell back into the couch, her eyes open, face frozen in fear.

Y/N stood and left the apartment, keeping her head down as she did before. She left through the back, knowing the guard would be back at the front desk by now. She made her way to her car and drove until she found the spot in the woods she had set up.

Getting out of her car, she made her way to the sewer cover that was under some leaves. She lifted it, pulling out a bag she had hung by the top. Y/N unzipped it, pulling out a change of clothes. She stripped out of hers, changing quickly. Then, she placed the old clothes inside and took out a new license plate. She went back to the car, changing the plate. This was something she always did after a hit on the off chance a camera caught the plate of her car.

Back at the bag, she put her mask, cap, and gloves inside as well before zipping it up. She pulled a new burner from the front pocket and tossed the bag to the bottom of the sewer, followed by her old burner and a lit match.

Once back at the car, she reached into the glove box and pulled out her notebook. She recorded the following:

#75224 — $1,075,000 — 87549202

The target, the amount paid to her, and the offshore account it was sent to.

When finished, she drove off, heading south. She would drive until given another target. Only this time, she wouldn't be leaving once she got to Miami.

————
(a/n): kinda short chapter but I wanted to keep the streak going 😈 I'm in the fucking ZONE right now

But yeah, small flashback and some answers to things. The next chapter will pick up where 16 left off.

What did you think of Y/N's past career 👀

don't forget to vote and STREAM/BUY/LIVE/BREATHE FAMILIA (no I won't stop plugging it bc it's her best album)
Thanks for reading ❤️