chapter sixteen

Camila stood in her office, looking over all the images she had taken of Y/N's things. None of it made sense. She was only able to make connections between the numbers in the notebook and the numbers written behind the pictures of people.

She concluded this meant that those people were also tied to the dollar amount and the other number. She just didn't know how. The detective was correct, however, in her idea that the photos were from obituaries.

That was as far as she had gotten in the past two days. Camila knew she needed help. It was time to confide in the one person she could trust with anything.

Camila Cabello:
Can you come over?
I need help with something
Sent 17:46

Normani Kordei:
I'm on my way
Is everything okay?
Read 17:47

Camila left her partner's text on read, figuring it would be much easier to discuss in person. In hindsight, she probably could have, at least, let her know it wasn't an emergency.

Normani showed up in about five minutes. Her house was a good 15 minutes away usually. She got there, used her key, and burst through the door, completely out of breath. "Camila? Are you okay?" She called out into the apartment.

Said woman walked out from her office, surprised at Normani's early arrival. "I'm fine. How did you get here so fast?"

"I thought it was an emergency. You didn't reply." She reasoned.

"Oh...my bad." Camila chuckled slightly. "Uh, let's sit." Normani followed her instructions and sat down in the recliner in Camilas living room. "So, I need help with something but first I need to tell you about some other things."

"Okay..." Normani nodded, wary of what was to come.

"Do you remember Y/N, Dinah, and Lauren?" Camila started.

"Miami's finest vigilantes? Sure." Her partner answered. "I keep in touch with them. Well, with Dinah and Lauren. Y/N is a little...odd."

"She's not 'odd'." Camila snapped defensively. "She just operates a little differently than you and me."

"Alright. I'm sorry." Normani was a little taken aback by Camilas small outburst.

"No, I'm sorry. It's just..." The smaller brunette took a deep breath and rubbed her palms along her jeans. "I've been working with them. And Y/N and I have gotten...closer." She glanced up at Normani slightly, searching for a reaction.

"Wait...is Y/N the person you're in love with??" She asked, obviously shocked.

"Yeah..."

"Well, shit. Okay then." Her partner nodded, not really knowing what to say as this was the last person she'd guess was the object of Camila's affection. "Hold on, working with them how?"

"Right, so, Dinah is this crazy smart computer person and she invented this algorithm that basically helps identify people before they commit a violent crime. It predicts it." Camila told her. "I know it sounds crazy but just trust me."

"Alright." She agreed easily.

"Really? Just like that?"