20) Tony

1st P.O.V Beth

Tony was a stubborn child, he never let me heal the mental pain that Howard gave him.

 He did accept my offer to put up an illusion over his tears, so Howard wouldn't think he was a freak, but he still suffered.

 I didn't sleep those first 13 years, not that I would take it back, although Tony tried to keep up.

 "Tony, your graduating MIT tomorrow, and you're only 17, you need sleep".

 I tell him, exasperated. 

"If you can do it *yawn* I can do it!", I pinch the bridge of my nose,

 "Tony, I'm an Angel, I can go my entire existence without sleep, you however, will die".

 I led him to his bed, where his roommate, Rhodney, was stirring, ultimately sitting up.

 "Finally getting him to sleep, Beth?". 

Rhodney was the only human Tony trusted completely besides Maria, his mom.

 Beth figured out that charges can mentally choose who can see their guardians, which made sense whenever it seemed that Frigga acknowledged her in the halls of the palace.

 "Well, you know how it is Rhodes, he's stubborn as a mule".

 I chuckled lightly, draping him over my shoulder as his knees buckled.

 "How long has he been up this time?".

 "About two days, it's not good for him", I say softly, laying him down on his bed and pulling the comforter over him.

 He's out like a light as I run my fingers through his hair.

 He seemed very calm, but I knew if I were to step away, he would start to tremble in terror. 

He once explained that he always knew that I was nearby, since his heart would feel warm and relaxed.

 So it didn't surprise me when he rolled over in his sleep, reaching out to grab me.

 I smile softly at how tender he managed to be tender as a young man with his trauma.

 I laid on top of the covers, cradling his head in the crook of my arm, the other supporting his back. 

He sighed in relief and a touch of happiness, and fell into a deeper sleep, his arms close to his chest. 

Rhodney chuckled at Tony's antics, but knew it was for the best when considering his mental health.

 Rhodney knew exactly what Tony's childhood was like, he could read people like that.

 He was just glad that he would have Beth to help him.

 Charges have more power over their Angels than they realize, say if Tony did not agree with something, Beth would have to listen to him.

 Exhibit A, Tony won't let me heal his mind.

 As a result, he is very selfless, has night terrors, and can be arrogant.

 Everything that makes Tony's personality comes from his soul and mind.

 I had managed to heal his current soul scars, but that's when he found out that I transferred everything to me. 

He never let me fix his mind, because he always thought he deserved it. 

I kept it under wraps when it came to his pain, but soul scar transfer is more apparent.

 When I take pain, it only takes a touch, and you won't physically see it. 

Soul Scars are taken from a person in a pale yellow, which I turn to gold, then pull it to my chest.

 Tony cried for a long time afterwards, thankfully we were at MIT, so Howard wasn't a concern.

 I remember he gripped my shoulder's, telling me to give it back so I wouldn't suffer.

 I cupped his check and kissed his forehead, "I'm here to protect you piccolo meccanico, and those scars were hurting you". 

He collapsed from exhaustion and I had laid him on his bed. 

He always looked under in his sleep, like there was a small child trying to escape. 

A golden tear leaked out of her eye and onto his forehead, it's the only temporary relief she can give him for his mind. 

Beth blinks, finding herself back into the present, with Tony in her arms, sleeping for once.

 Rhodney came up behind her and gripped her shoulder lightly, "He'll be okay, he's strong, made of Iron as he would say".

 I scoff lightly, "Not only was that Howards saying, he doesn't need to be strong, I can be strong for the both of us...he just doesn't understand that I can help him".

 Tony stirs in his sleep, then wraps his arms around me and pulls me close, releasing a small sigh.

 "My baby girl", he mumbles softly.

 I crack a small smile, looking at Rhodney, who was also smiling. 

"See, now that makes sense, he sees you as his daughter, and wants to protect you from his own pain...he always looked out for other people, makes sense he wants to look after you", he said softly.

 I look at Tony, and held him closer, and I can see the tension from his shoulders drop.

 Rhodney turns off the light and climbs into his bed, and I start to hum the lullaby I sang to him since the day I met him. 

So this one has a little more angst, but Tony Stark angst is the absolute best, especially Civil War stories.

Well, see you guys tomorrow!