Chapter 28: Underground

"Des, are you sure you're fine over there?" Levi asks, it was winter, so they slept close to each other for extra warmth, but they had just saved their newest friend a few days ago, so Isabel and Farlan were far from trusting "I'm fine" she says, hearing some movements not a few seconds later and Farlan asking "What are you doing?" to someone. She turns away from the wall when someone drops a pillow down "I'm not letting you freeze over here" Levi says and he lays down once he's satisfied "You're freezing" he mumbles when the stubborn girl moves a bit closer "I just don't want to intrude" she says "You aren't". Slowly but surely they start to trust her, but when Isabel, Destiny and Farlan are alone once, Levi left to deal with something, a group of people wander over and toss a beaten down Levi in front of the two "See even he's nothing without his backup" "The only reason I am like this is because you had nine friends to help out" Levi says. Destiny walks down the steps, her red eyes narrowing at the man who hurt her very first friend "And of course he took in the white haired freak", but his kick is blocked by Destiny, who grabs his ankle "And this freak here" she says "Would have no problem putting you in the ground right now" she adds tightening her grip and she tosses the very annoying guy against his friend, annoying guy number two "And I will if I see your ugly faces here again". The group quickly scrambles so Destiny helps Levi up "Isa, first aid kit, top drawer" she says entering the house "Damn youre strong" Farlan says "When I'm not starving, yeah" she says as she starts cleaning the blood off with a wet cloth "What happened Levi?" Farlan asks "I was heading back when they attacked me" Levi says, not even bothering to move his head away "And since it was ten against one" "You lost" Farlan says "They do seem terrified of Des thought" he adds, making the girl perk up at hearing her nickname "Careful" Levi says "Sorry" she says and Isabel walks over.

That night, since Levi's injured and can't keep Destiny company the girl slowly makes her way over to them with her stuff, but she barely has a chance to ask when Isabel grabs the pillow and put it down next to her "You know, you're not so bad" "You wouldn't be the first to think that" Destiny mumbles laying down "Though you can be terrifying as hell" "We'll train her tomorrow" Levi says "But where will we get new gear?" Farlan asks "Hm, the military police?" Isabel asks "Too risky" Destiny says with a sigh "Well, there's no point in planning to get some".

When winter passed Destiny and Farlan would disappear from time to time and come back dragging a bag of wood, however they kept their project hidden, as good as possible anyway. "What are you two up to?" Levi asks raising an eyebrow, scaring them as they thought they had been alone "Levi, when did you get back?" Farlan asks "Forgot something" he says "Why is our house full off wood?" "Uh... Well, it's... we're making something" Destiny says "In the other room" Farlan says, the door that led to their storage, though it's a big room and it might not be a storage orginially, though it's a bit smaller then the main room "Just clean up after yourselves".

They have the terrible luck that Isabel is a bit more nosey and just enters the room while they are building "Is that a... bed?" she asks "Get out" Destiny says "But why are you-" "Out!" Farlan adds. "Think she'll tell Levi?" he asks "Most likely" is the answer to that "How do you even know how to do this?" "My parents were resourceful and my mother taught me how to make decent basic furniture". Levi crosses his arms when they are finished and finally let him inside the room "What business would I have in our..." he trails off after entering, the room was clean, had a wardrobe he hadn't seen before, but he guessed they must've gotten or build it and in two corners is a bed, seperated by said wardrobe and a curtain made from old fabric "It's not much" Farlan says "But Des made a good point that we can't continue like that" "I can't promise it'll be really comfy, but anything's better then the floor" Destiny adds to that "Hm, where'd you get the wardrobe?" "Hidden behind other stuff" Farlan answers "And no Isabel, you don't have to check if one side is smaller then the other" he adds.

A few more months pass and Levi is closer to the girl they found and saved during the winter "You're good" Isabel says earning a sad smile "Thanks" "Alright that's enough for today, Isabel, Farlan, someone wants to talk to us. Although he was very specific and wouldn't allow Des to come too, called her a freak", before they leave though he gives her a tight hug, but he doesn't really know what to say "Let's go" Isabel says and Destiny gives him a smile.

So Destiny watches helplessly as Erwin and some other scouts capture her friends, hiding in the shadows and she heads back when she realizes there's nothing she can do to help them, so she looks at her dagger and sinks down to the floor "Levi..." she mumbles trying her hardest not to cry, she understood they had a job to do, but she suddenly felt lonely, very very lonely, maybe she would be the white haired freak again.

Levi is looking at the sky with his friends "Hard to believe we had to leave Des behind" Farlan says "Do you think she'll manage?" "I hope so, but when we're done we can get her right?" Isabel asks "No, knowing Des, she'll try to make the most of it, but she will never be safe on the surface, the noble called her a freak, same as those down there, but he said it like he knew something they don't" and suddenly Farlan's words ring through his head after he had gotten his dagger "it's obvious she likes you Levi, she probably wants to make sure you never forget her". Thinking about it now, he was right, Destiny wasn't one for giving gifts "I won't forget her" he think, if only he knew how wrong he had been.