Chapter 30: Camping 2

"There you three are!" Mikasa says "What happened to Des?" "Oh she uh... attacked Kenny" Levi says "Everyone's fine" "Hold on... Victoria attacked Kenny?" Armin asks, earning a nod "It's complicated, but we subdued her" Kenny says. Victoria, for her part, has no idea what happened and she looks at everyone as they eye her warily "Okay spill. Between finding Kenny, falling asleep and now is a blank, sooo" "You tried to kill Kenny?" Isabel asks "Ah well that wasn't me" Victoria says "Well it was, but... remember when Levi locked us in the room? That happened, but then with me" she explains "I see" Mikasa says "And apparently Kenny's dead there so I imagine that was eventful".

The next day they spend doing something as a group, Kenny suggesting hide and seek "Alright, on one condition" Farlan says "You're not hiding" Isabel adds, making Kenny huff in annoyance "Look at it this way, you're the oldest, so you could see if our skills improved" Mikasa explains "Fair enough, if I can't find you, head back when the sun sets" Kenny says as he walks to the cabin "Alright, you get one minute" he adds closing the door. The others scatter almost instantly, Victoria climbs a high, dense tree near the clearing, Levi finds a half hollowed out tree he gets in before moving the branches to give him better cover, Mikasa helping him when she passes by to her stack of rocks, Armin locates a waterfall with a very small cave which he decides to use, Farlan goes around the cabin and sneaks to the attic using the window, finally Isabel finds a reasonable hole in the forest, which is camouflages enough to use as hiding place.

Kenny starts looking and he chuckles "Well this should be interesting" he comments, passing the tree Victoria is hiding in, he does inspect the ground around it, but moves on, only to hear movements when he's a fair distance away, which causes him to return to the tree, climbing it with ease, but he doesn't see anyone. He finds Isabel first "Isabel... your hair is a dead giveaway in this terrain" he says "Right, forgot that for a moment" she says "Other then that it's a good spot" he compliments her "Unlike the time I decided to hide in the kitchen cupboard yeah yeah" she mumbles heading back to the cabin. Levi is the second to be found, although Kenny passed his hiding place five times already "Really kiddo, don't yawn so loud" Kenny advises "Well excuse me that I got tired of waiting for you, ten more minutes and I would've been asleep, how long are we doing this now anyway?" Levi asks, so Kenny checks his watch "Little more then two hours" he answers "I have a hunch where Mikasa is, you go back to the cabin". He's right and Mikasa laughs "Took you long enough" she says earning a chuckle "Well Levi gave himself away by yawning, so you're the third one" he says "Of course he did" she mumbles "Who's the first one caught?" "Isabel, her hair gave her away, now I still need to find three others".

Turns out that he can't find them and when the sun sets Levi and Mikasa head to the kitchen to get started on dinner preparations while Kenny calls the other three "I honestly didn't think that would work" Victoria says when Farlan helps her down and they see Armin walk over "Where the hell were you guys?" Isabel asks "He scoured the entire forest three times and checked every room inside five times" she says "Well I started in a tree" Victoria says mentioning to the direction she had run to "But then Kenny passed by and I remembered something Kuchel once told me. So when Kenny was far enough away from me to move I did, good thing too since he went to check afterwards" she explains "I never left the clearing though, not really, unless you count the tree" "How did you get caught?" Farlan asks "My hair gave me away" Isabel says. Kenny crosses his arms "So neither of you is going to tell me where you were?" he asks "Oh yeah sure, I was inside the cabin, Victoria was near the cabin and Armin near a waterfall" Farlan says "Also I think Vi fell asleep after three hours" "Yep, but he'd have woken me up if he found me" she says.

Since they're heading back the next day everyone goes to bed early, although Victoria can't quite sleep "Worried?" Levi asks, earning a small nod "We won't survive being constantly at war and we can't hide from everyone either" she answers quietly "I'm sure Hanji could find something in that brain of hers that helps though, but I know that if I ask she won't shut up for at least an hour" "I don't know how to help you" Levi admits "Hell knowing Hanji she would make a time machine if we asked" "Yes she would" Victoria mumbles "Not that having a time machine would help though" she adds staring at the ceiling "No I suppose it doesn't" Levi mumbles turning to his side "Unless..." he mumbles "Nah, that's too far in the past" "You've just given me an idea" Victoria says sitting up "No" Levi says and he adds "I'd rather never have it happen again" he adds earning a pout "Fine I guess" she mumbles.

The next day they return to the city and it's somewhat a chaos "Historia what's going on?" Levi asks as soon as they see her "I'm mobilising all our troops" the new queen says "What why?" Victoria asks "One of Marley's agents killed Kuchel, well he wanted to kill me, but that failed as you might've guessed" Historia explains making Kenny go pale "And they killed Eren for betraying them" Ymir adds "And an all out war is the answer?" Levi asks "Yes it is" Historia says "Kenny, report to Erwin for your duties" "But then who-" "No one stays behind this time Kenny, no one!". Levi sighs as he sits at the restaurant "Reiner, you guys had a hiding place right?" Ymir asks walking in, carrying one of Victoria's large bags "Yes, why?" Berthold asks "Meet Armin, Mikasa, Farlan and Isabel at the city gates with these two and leave. Historia's lost it after Kuchel died protecting her. I'll see if I can get through to her, but you guys need to get to safety" Ymir points out handing Levi the bag "Hanji will meet you as well".

Hanji shakes her head and hugs Victoria "It's not just the queen. Erwin's blabbering some nonesense about destroying all our enemies" she tells them "Kenny has more authority so thank god for that" "The whole world has gone to hell" Levi mumbles "Why can't Victoria talk some sense into her?" "Mike tried, he ended up in the dungeons" the scientist answers "Sending the princess back is a last resort".