Chapter 12: The Break In

I woke up next to Thomas. His body was snuggled against mine. I tried to move but he had a firm grip on me. A part of me didn't want to leave either. I enjoyed being this close. My heart was beating against my chest. His eyes peeked open. "Liz." I was about to speak when the alarm went off. Thomas jumped up. This is bad. I was supposed to be watching and someone broke in! Thomas disappeared. I got up and headed to the camera room. By the time I got there, figures were running up the second floor. I couldn't see who it was though. They were heading for the third story. I picked up the phone and called the police. Once they told me they were on the way, I hung up. I headed to the second floor and ran down the hallway. I was about to go the third floor when I slipped. My knee hit the ground hard. Rolling on my side. How clumsy could I possibly get right now?

Thomas stood above and picked me up. "You must be crazy." He spoke in this old English accent. He ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. He placed me on my feet. "Why would you head towards the danger? You can't stop them!"

I was leaning against the counter. "Did you see them?"

Thomas shook his head. "They had masks on. This has happened a few times before."

The alarm stopped. All you could hear was screaming. Horrible, pitched screams. It echoed thought out the whole house. I covered my ears. A gust of wind came at us. Thomas held me close to him. I closed my eyes. Once I opened them, Maria was standing there. Thomas was gone. I stared at her. What just happened? She pointed down the hallway towards the front door. I went out there and saw Thomas on the floor. Bleeding. I freaked out. How could he bleed?! He's not living! There was a creature standing in front of me. His teeth showed. It was like a human, but it was more creature like. His fingers pointed a me. I could feel my chest getting heavy. "Lizzy, you will come with me. The devil is waiting for you." The what? Oh no. I can't. This thing creeps me the hell out!

I shook my head. "No. I haven't done anything evil."

He blinked. Nothing was shaking him. A hand was on my ankle. Thomas stood up. He wasn't bleeding anymore. His eyes met the creatures. "Thomas, you want to explain to her how you really died?"

My eyes met Thomas's. "What is it talking about?"

He looked at me. He looked like he was panicking. "Demons lie, they..."

"Also know your dirty little secrets. You loved that girl so much; you killed the guy she was going to marry." It snarled.

"NO!" The blood was disappearing off Thomas. How was this even possible?

"Oh, but you did. Nobody could prove it was you though. Then karma took away the one thing you wanted most. You lived a lonely life till the day you died. And you're trying to be with the living now." The demon made a sound. "You still owe us more years." Thomas rolled his eyes. The demon crossed his arms. "You have until Halloween to be with her. Not long enough, but it will be very soon." The creature headed back upstairs.

I looked at Thomas. "You....killed...." I was speechless. How could he kill someone? I didn't know what to do. Was he going to hurt me? I know he wouldn't. But...why?

"Liz I can explain..." He grabbed my hands, but I yanked back.

"I bet. You couldn't lose her to the point to where you murdered her future husband?" I crossed my arms. It didn't mean kill him because he couldn't have his lover.

Thomas got angry. "We were in love! He offered better opportunities than I could ever give her. She accepted. I wanted her back. I killed him before their wedding. No one knew it was me! I lost her either way. I was left alone." He ran his fingers through his hair.

I was upset. How could he only tell me half of the story? He lied about it to begin with. "You sold your soul to the devil? Why did you lie to me?"

"I killed someone! I was bad! I had no choice! I have been paying my debt off. I come and go here every so often. They've gotten mad at me because I come here every night to see you. I didn't have the courage to tell you the truth. I should have told you the truth and I'm sorry I didn't."

I sat on the hallway floor. I took a deep breath. "How many years do you have left?"

Thomas sat down next to me. His arms wrapped around me. "I have 300 years left."

I shook my head. He was in a huge mess. "Demons are very frightening." He nodded slowly. My eyes met his. Thomas balled up his hand. "He knows everything. I can't outrun him." I knew exactly who he was talking about. The devil. He has his demons running around this house, watching us. Waiting to take Thomas back down. Thomas made a mistake. He shouldn't be punished for the rest of his life for it. I didn't want him to go. He would probably suffer once he was in their hands.

"Now he wants your soul." Thomas mumbled. I dropped my jaw. The best news I've heard all night, the devil will be coming back for me as well. But I thought God was taking me? I was very unsure and confused. He saw my face. He stood up and helped me up. "Come on, let's just lay down for a little bit." I knew I needed to clear my head. This is too much to take in.

We stayed in another room, so we could make sure it was clear. The police checked the whole house. Whoever it was, was gone now. Well, it was no surprise where they went. Or who took them. Thomas said I would have to put something in there to keep the demons away. The room we stayed in had a cross. The bed was comfy. His arm was hanging down my waist. I couldn't help but think of Molly. She was acting a little funny. She was taking a huge risk breaking in to see me. Was there another reason why she was here? I was hoping Theodore wouldn't come back for me. Thomas breathed in deeply. I knew he was dead, but he just seemed so real to me. Like he was alive for once. His arm tightened around me, pulling me closer. I touched his face. His skin felt so smoothed. He grabbed my hand and held it. He kissed my palm.

I could feel my heart beating. He grabbed my other hand and held my hands together. "It's going to be okay. I'll protect you as much as I can. You just have to make sure you're not alone for a long period of time." He was so sweet. He cared about me.

I kissed his cheek. "Can't you come with me?" He raised his eyebrow. "To my house in the morning?" I hated leaving here all the time. I wish he could come with me.

His eyes looked sad. "I can't leave this house. I'm bounded here." It probably had something to do with the devil. I checked my phone. It was almost 6am. Thomas kissed me gently. He sat up. "I won't be here tonight. I need time to rest up there. Otherwise, I can't be like this around you for a few days."

I nodded. My heart felt a little sad. I hugged him tight. "I'll miss you." It was depressing that I wouldn't see him tomorrow night. He saw my face.

He kissed my head gently. "I'll miss you too Lizzy. I'll be back before you know it." Thomas winked at me. I smiled a little. I got up and headed out of the room. Sue would be back soon. Dragging myself down the first two steps, arms lifted me back up to the top of the stairs. Thomas wrapped his arms around me. His eyes were staring back at mine. "You're not going to say bye?" His fingers ran down my face. My heart was loud against my chest. Like a roaring train.

I shook my head. "I don't want to. I'm afraid I'll never see you again."

He pulled my chin and kissed me. His kiss was lingering on my lips. "Lizzy, I'll be back. I wouldn't leave you alone forever." His accent came in. I smirked at him. Thomas picked me up and carried me down the stairs. My arms were wrapped securely on his neck. Besides feeling safe, it was so good to be in his arms as well. It felt so right. He placed me on my feet. I watched him go back up the stairs. I ran back up and grabbed his hand. He pulled me next to him. He smiled at me. "Liz." He kissed my forehead. I knew he saw how hard it was for me. I practically came every night since I started to see him. It's been almost three weeks. His thumb smoothed my shirt by my waist. He got close to my ear. "Bye Liz." Sue opened the front door. Thomas disappeared before she saw him. I couldn't see Thomas again for another night. Sue walked into the camera room. "Clean this up and you can go." She strolled into the kitchen. I walked down the stairs and stood in the hallway. I looked down and saw a few drops of blood. I had a feeling that they would come tonight. It wasn't going to be good either.