Chapter 36: Thomas's Point of View #4

It was now 3:30 am. Sophie has been driving around the edge of the state for at least an hour looking for the entrance to hell. I slammed my hand on the dashboard. "Damn it Sophie! I thought you knew where it was?" My knuckles were starting to turn white.

She glanced over at me. "Would you like to drive then?" She sounded annoyed with me.

I raised my eyebrow at her. "You know I don't know how to work this thing." Her driving was scaring me. "And why do you just name things out in the open like that?"

"Most people don't know it's a gateway to hell. It's mostly a cave walkthrough experience." She was looking at me, not paying attention. My heart went into my stomach when another thing with lights was about to hit us. Sophie moved out of the way just in time. "Control your damn carriage woman!" My accent came in. I didn't want to try and find Liz in death again. She rolled her eyes. "It's called a car and it's the same as a carriage."

I looked back at the road. "A carriage is made of wood. Not metal. Now are we close or not?" The time was passing by way to fast, and we haven't even found the entrance yet.

She shook her head. "This is the only one I can think of. I hope it's still there." Liz was running out of time. God, there had to be a faster way to find her. She must be wondering if she's going to die down there or not. Sophie pulled off the road into an empty lot. She parked the car and ran out. I followed her. Ahead of us was a huge cave. "This is it?" I questioned.

She nodded. "Only you can go in alone. Someone has to keep watch on this side." Staring at the cave, it looked dark and old. "Liz only has less than 3 hours left down there." She handed me a flashlight. "Go through. Turn right twice. Then go through a crack in the wall. Don't worry you'll fit, and you will fall. But that's the fastest way to get there."

I nodded. I had to find Liz quick. "Do you know where she is?"

She smiled like she knew something I didn't. "You'll find her once you get there."

I didn't waste any more time. I raced into the cave. Making the first right while almost falling down. The ground was slippery and wet for some reason. The second came up very quickly. All that was on my mind was Liz. I had to get to her. She was going to lose all her oxygen. Searching for the crack in the wall, I couldn't find it. I slowed down and searched around. It had to be here somewhere. I wanted Lizzy in my arms. Just like the first time I met her. Even though I was dead and kept telling her it'd never work. She never gave up. Liz meant everything to me. My fingers lost the wall. Holding the flashlight up, my eyes saw the crack was really big enough. I squished myself inside and walked for a few minutes. The ground gave in under me. I fell into the darkness. I didn't know what was below me. But I hoped it wouldn't be sharp rocks.

Opening my eyes, I searched around a room with red walls. There was a big thick door, nothing was getting out of here. Glancing up, I fell through the roof. A loud scream echoed throughout the room. Liz was on the ground shaking and screaming. She looked like she was having a bad dream. My body was still sore from the fall. But I managed to drag myself over to her. I held her close in my arms and started shaking her. "LIZ! Liz wake up! It's only a dream." Her eyes popped open. She started hitting my chest, screaming for me to let her go. "Liz, it's me! You're safe."

She got out of my arms. Her chest was rising and falling quickly. "You're not Thomas. I won't fall for your tricks again!" She must have been gone through this at least a dozen times by now. I slowly held my hands up. "Lizzy, it's really me."

She shook her head, refusing to believe me. I was a little hurt but knowing the devil, he would use me to try and trick her. She quietly thought for a moment. "Fine. Tell me what you said to me when I asked you about us making love for the first time." She was nervous about my response.

I smiled at her. She was talking about the night she was so nervous about Halloween. She was brushing her hair in the same spot. That's when I teased her. "I told you, I knew what you wanted. You liked it when I teased you. And I could make you want it so badly that you couldn't resist me."

Her breath shortened. "What else?" I knew why she was unsure. She would feel safe once she realized it was really me.

"I left a hickey on your neck while I guided your hands on my body. Remember that?" I said sweetly. She sat there for a few seconds. Then Liz raced into my arms. She cried softly into my chest. I held her close. "I'm so sorry Thomas. I wanted to be sure. He kept tricking me. I was so scared. I didn't believe it was you now and I should have. Please forgive me." I knew I wasn't going to get her back this easily.

I kissed her head. "Stop, it's okay. I know why you asked me so much. I'm not mad at you at all." She wrapped her arms around my neck. I kissed her. "I've missed you so much. It was driving me nuts not being able to find a portal. I fell into it I guess."

Liz kissed my chin. "You're covered in dirt."

My hands held her face. "You're even more beautiful than the last time I saw you." She blushed. She liked it when I made her feel special. I lifted her up to her feet as I stood up. "We need to leave." If the devil realizes I'm down here, we may not get out alive. Especially Liz, she was like a ticking time bomb right now. Looking at her more closely, she was whiter in her face. She was going to die soon if I didn't get her back to earth.

Liz hid her head under my chin. "The doors locked." I came prepared. Before we left the mansion, I dug through my box to find the set of keys I'd stolen from the devil years ago. He was pissed that I refused to stay in hell, so he locked me in one of these rooms. But I managed to trick one of the demons to let me out and stole their set of keys. Pulling the keys out of my pocket, I placed it in the keyhole. The door opened. She looked at me, surprised that I had our way out. "I snatched his keys years ago. Long story." I headed out the door with her. Looking at Liz's phone, it was almost 5am. Time was running out. I placed the keys back in my pocket. We headed down a long hallway and up the stairs. I was hoping we could get out without being noticed. Soon as we got further down, a familiar voice screamed. "Theodore! They're getting away!"