28. Worst Enemy

EUTERPE POV:

EUTERPE POV:

The boys went completely ridged at my sides when they saw the same thing that I did. A second later both of my hands had one of theirs each in my own. The same pressure on each side grounded me, it helped me understand that they were there, that I wasn't alone again.

But won't I always be?

His steel-gray eyes narrowed at me and although I expected some hostility, it was mostly just pure curiosity. It wasn't comfortable but I wasn't uncomfortable. I understand it is natural, wanting to know what your ex-wife's – the one who cheated on you – daughter looked like after all this time.

Yet, I felt vulnerable.

He suspects.

When I first came I was more than ready to meet this man and get his help. I was ready to give him the letter that needed to be delivered so he can deal with it and ask for the stupid name that I needed. I was ready to get my stuff and escape when they were too busy being distracted. I was ready to go and never deal with them again, blood or not.

But I'm not ready.

I'm not ready to meet this man. Not because of the Vaughn's, not because of the letter, I just want the name. The name that will give me peace and I won't have to live on the run anymore. That's all I want but will he give it to me? Will he understand? Will he let it go after he figures out what's been going on? He might not care about me but if I attract danger around his sons then he is bound to intervene. He loves them, and he could hate me for the trouble I not brought and will bring later on.

A chest blocked my view, "Listen Euterpe," Axton put his hands up, "We wanted to explain beforehand but we didn't have enough time. I understand that it is a bit of a shock but we just didn't know-" a cough cut him off.

"Yeah, so that's not going to work for us. You can give her all the bullshit excuses that you have but you lied. About something big, something that she should have known." Miles gritted out angrily.

Suddenly Braxton was here, "Yeah, we know," he spoke up, "But we didn't want to say the wrong thing at the wrong time." He huffed.

"Yeah so let's just tell her some fucked up lie because it's not like she has any right to know! Like what the hell?! You lied for what? What possible reason did you have to lie about that? You act like it would have changed anything." August whispered loudly.

Axton's face twisted, "It's not like we are the only ones who lied. You guys lie and Euterpe lied all the damn time not telling us shit. Especially what happened at the party." He spat.

"That's different and you know it. She was attacked and you have the balls to compare trauma with a fucking lie?" Milo hissed incredulously.

"No, I didn't mean it like that- ugh! Look just calm down!" Axton rubbed his face.

My frown deepened and I tapped the wrist of both hands that were holding me. Their heads turned to me and I nodded in a specific way that made them nod back in understanding.