Chapter 27: Partners

“How are you feeling,” Doctor Ciel asked, as he packed up his medical kit next to my bed.

I shrugged my shoulders, “Better, I’m not having any problems with moving around anymore.” 

“That’s good,” He gave a small smile, in my emerald green eyes, I could see a bit of sadness in his smile. 

Though the smile was small, it felt forced, but I looked away when I heard my front door creak open slightly. Doctor Ciel picked up his kit from my bed, and the door opened wider. This time, it was Isabelle, she held the door open for Doctor Ciel to leave, with a delicate bow she closed the door. Turning her attention to me, gracefully stepping as she came towards my side. Was there a reason to why Simon wasn’t with her, I was about to ask when she began to talk.

“Miss Valley, are you well enough to stand.” She reached out both of her small hands, but I shook my head lightly. Tilting it to the side a bit, with a small smile. 

“It’s okay,” I swung my legs over to the edge of the bed, and pushed myself up. 

The pain I was so use to no longer came through me, instead I could actually do task for myself. But because I’m better I have to leave this room, and go back to the whole system of every Specialist. I have to be a slave. I should of know this so why am I letting it bother me, if I don’t train, or even eat then I won’t be strong enough to protect myself. I’d be kill as soon as I go though there front door, like some kind of insect. I can’t be an insect, when I have goal, to kill him and only him. 

Nothing else matters, if I can kill him then I could leave the god forsaken place.  And see them again, mom, dad. I looked down at Isabelle, but she was no longer at my side. I turned over my shoulder, causing my curls to bounce behind me. When my eyes settled on her pulling out my clothes, from the closet. I guess I was right, I’m gonna have to go straight to training. I stepped away from my bed, and placed both of my hands on the bed’s pillar. 

“So I’m going to class,” I started up the conservation since she didn’t seem to want to. She nodded, and closed both of the closets door. Before looking at me, “You’ll need to be informed of the mission ahead.” 

“A mission,” I questioned?

“Yes, there going to tell you about it in class.” She ended it with that simple sentence, but I still wanted to know what kind of mission it was, something dangerous or threaten. Is there someone in trouble who’s in the need of assistances? 

Nevertheless, she placed the clothes on the bed’s surface, and looked up at me. “You’ll need to bath beforehand.” And I sighed, turning around to the bathroom door, my eye slightly closed when I stared at the doorknob. For a moment, why do I have a bad feeling about this.

*********************

It’s been a while since, I’ve walked through this hallways, I looked at the walls, and the decorations that hung on them. Until the zig-zag patterns of the blue walls, began to fade, I knew I was getting closer to the classroom’s door. But why was the entrance to the classroom so dull, while the parts of the castle I’ve seen been kindly painted. Walking through the narrowed hallway I seriously wished I wasn’t by myself right now. 

‘And whys that?’ A voice that always seemed to surprise me. Its nothing, I said in my mind, as I came into view of the door. I gripped the doorknob tightly; before I turned it he spoke again.

‘Don’t forget, what I told you in the beginning of the Impact Training’.

I blinked a couple of time, but then I smiled, a real one from cheek to cheek with determination in my eyes. I nodded, “I won’t.” Before pushing the door open, and walking inside the classroom. 

The lights were brighter in the classroom then the hallway, so I had to blink a couple of times to adjust. I rubbed the corner of my eye with my finger, before placing both of my hands at my side. My expression was blank, yet serious, I kept my composure, as I took a seat between both Jeremiah and Leon. 

Their eyes looked at me from the side, but I kept mine forward, as Lady Storm stood up from her desk. Picking up a piece of chalk by the board, “Its nice you were able to make it Miss Summoner.”  I gave a simple nod, as I folded my arms to lean forward on my desk. Slowly Leon and Jeremiah’s attention turned back to Lady Storm, and I eased back a bit. I forgave them, yet I still couldn’t forget, because it happened and the scars won’t leave.

“As you know, Specialist, today is the Triennial Recovery of the Castle Barrier.” Just as soon as those words left her mouth both Jeremiah and Leon groaned loudly, in annoyance. Lady Storm squinted her eyes, at them, and they gulped, piping down. 

She cleared her throat, and continued, “As most of you know, the four seals around the house have started to weaken. Because of this all of you are going to have to reseal the four trees that hold the seal.”

Recovery of the Castle, I raised my hand up slowly, she looked at me, “Yes?” 

I stood up from my seat, brushing my kimono down, as I spoke, “what do you mean reseal the trees? Why would you have to do that?” 

Lady Storm pressed the palms of her hand on the edge of her desk, as he stared at me intensely, that I felt a bit scared. She sighed under her breath, before answering with, “To protect the king. You should know everyone in this land wants to kill, torture or even kidnap our king. Which is why the Recovery of the Castle was put into place. If we successful placed the seal, with a solution Doctor Ciel created so the seals can regain there strength. Then we won’t need to worry about worst case scenarios.” She explained, before turned her back toward the class, and began writing on the board.

Then it doesn’t sound like a mission more like a chore, as I sat back down on my seat. I brushed my fingers through the red curls of my hair, removing them from my cheek. So I could cup my cheeks with the palms of my hands. Halfly closing my eyes, as I listened to the rest the lesson from one ear while the other was listening to my surroundings. 

From Jeremiahs mouth I could hear him say, “ Dell, Dell”. I looked at him from the corner of my eyes, those his dark eyes turned towards me with a bright smile. He gave a small wave, “Wanna be partners for the mission since your new.”

That when I felt a hand reach out to tug on my long sleeves, from my other side. I turned to look at who it was and there was Leon with his eyes big and lips pouted. “No fair, I wanted her to be my partner.”

I sighed lightly, this time placed my whole body forwards, I quiet giggle left my tightly pressed lips. Trying to stay forces, I looked at the board, and saw some ridiculous, equation or writing on the chalkboard. My eyes widen, when she placed the chalk down on the edge of the board, and clapped her hand. Turning around in a way that seem incredibly slow, until our eyes locked, she pointed her finger at me. And I flinched, “Miss Summoner, who are you going to partner up with since my class isn’t important enough for you to listen.”

What?! 

“Um,” I exclaimed nervously, I looked to my side at both Jeremiah and Leon. There smiles were killing me, it didn’t know who to choose, it wouldn’t be fair if I choose one out of the other. I couldn’t believe I was shaking so much from this simple question, come on Dell.

My eyes scanned the empty room, trying some much to avoid Lady Storm’s cold scowl. That’s when I saw Melody, in the corner of the room, she looked bored as she played with her fingernails. That’s when it clicked, “Melody, she’s my partner.” 

There was a deep silent, I turned back to Lady Storm, and she folded her arms over her chest. “Okay,” she exclaimed calm before she picked up her chalk and started writing again, why calm. The confident smile I had on my face felt unsure, like she wanted me to chose Melody. But why?