YOU'RE A LIAR? WE'RE NOT SURE BUT WE'RE SURE SHINPACHIS THE ONLY RESPONSIBLE ONE

"You're quite chipper today Y/N-san," Shinpachi commented as you hummed while cutting vegetables.

"It's sick," Gintoki explained. "She's all sunshine and rainbows because she's allowed to start cutting people open again."

"No, I'm happy because I can finally start making money again," you smiled. "Can pay back that rent we've built up for years."

"When do you get your first paycheck?" Shinpachi asked.

You went quiet and looked down at the food you were cooking. Gintoki chuckled. "She's not going to get it for another 6 months. Like I said, she just likes cutting people open."

"6 months?!" Shinpachi sighed. "What are we going to do until then?"

"Do what we always do," you answered. "Not pay rent and live as poor people. Anyways, it really depends on how many hours I work. So if I take enough double shifts, I should be cleared in 4 months."

"It's better than I expected, so there isn't a reason to complain, I guess," Shinpachi said. "I thought surgeons took years of education before actually doing surgery."

"I did go through that," you answered. "It was a bit shorter than normal surgeons but I had years of practise in intense situations to make up for it. Now, where's Kagura? The food's almost finished."

                         ➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"You think you're ready to go back?" The shrink asked. You nodded, and he went on with more questions. "Are you telling me you suffer from no trauma at all?"

"I didn't fight in the war," you crossed your arms. "There was no reason for me to be traumatized."

"People on the sidelines, hearing the stories, seeing the outcome, that can cause trauma as well," the shrink spoke softly. "You were one of the best doctors in the war. The youngest as well, I believe..."

You didn't speak. He spoke further. "I heard your husband participated in the war as well?" You nodded. "Well do you think that because he was in the centre of it, because he fought in it, that you're traumas don't mean anything? Are you, maybe, trying to suppress these feelings because he's been through worse yet doesn't seem to let it bother him?"

"It does bother him," you sighed. "But my experience in it was... not as extreme as you think it was. I rarely even got to do extreme surgeries, and when I did, it was a person that didn't want to live because they were ashamed for not committing seppuku."

"Are you ashamed of letting anyone die?"

"No," you shook your head. "That's completely normal in war. Sometimes, we didn't have enough of something or it was a situation where they were practically dead the moment they were given to us."

"It must still hurt, no?"

"No." The shrink sighed and put down their clipboard.

"I'd say that's enough for today Sakata-san,"he smiled. "I heard you were cleared by the hospital?"

"Yes," you smiled back. "They know me best and know I'm more than capable of starting to cut stuff again."

"Well, you have fun then," He nodded. "The hospital should be a piece of cake compared to a battlefield."

You stood up and left without a word.

                         ➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"So we have a... Sadaharu now?" You asked after Shinpachi explained everything to you. He and Kagura nodded as Gintoki was being bitten by Sadaharu. "Okay then. But Kagura, a pet is a huge responsibility, so you better be taking care of him the most."

"I know, I know," Kagura nodded. "Gin-chan already gave me a cool lecture and everything. Anyways, Y/N-chan, how was work?"

"It wasn't very exciting," you sighed. "I didn't get to do any surgery today. If I didn't have to work so much, I would be able to actually come along with you guys."

"Why don't you just quit then?" Gintoki offered.

"Because someone needs to be the responsible one in this home," you shot back.

"Shouldn't you be more supportive Gin-san?" Shinpachi asked. "Y/N-san is finally doing the responsible thing for you."

Kagura spoke up, voice slightly muffled by the picked seaweed she was eating. "Gin-chan is just jealous because Y/N-chan's never around anymore."

"Oi, no one asked you to stop eating and open your mouth," Gintoki said.

Kagura glared at him with the seaweed still in her mouth. "It never left my mouth idiot!"

"A young girl such as yourself shouldn't talk with food in her mouth, idiot!"

You sighed and turned back to Shinpachi. "Are you staying tonight?" He nodded. "I'll need help with dinner then."